Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a Admiral Designer Series HMG 19177. The freezer itself

I have a Admiral Designer Series HMG 19177. The freezer itself is building up with ice and I believe the fan is constantly running and the temperature is at it's lowest setting. The refrigerator is barely cool if at all and it's setting is at it's highest. What seems to be the problem with it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Ok the problem here is the defrost system has failed, You will need to take the food out of the freezer and put it in a ice chest, next unplug the unit and take the shelf's out of the freezer. Remove the lower panel on the inside rear of the freezer, Once the panel is out you will see the evaporator (looks like a radiator on a car), this is going to be caked with frost/ice, thaw the ice/frost with a hair dryer. Once you have done this you will see the defrost heater looped below the evaporator. Test the heater with a ohm meter, If it reads open then it will need to be replaced.

If the heater tests good (reads continuity) then the defrost thermostat/sensor will need to be replaced. This is located clipped to the top corner of the evaporator.

I would like to earn your highest rating, are you totally satisfied with my answer? If not please reply to me with your concerns or additional questions. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate me before you leave.

It was my pleasure helping you today. Feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions at no further charge. Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember if you have future questions regarding a faulty appliance, You can request me personally to assist you with the problem :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hi Bill,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Mike,

I didn't have a meter for the testing of the sensor or heater therefore I defrosted the whole refrigerator and cleaned out everything underneath it....it was full of animal hair. Everything is running fine right now including the fan or motor compared to before when it was constantly running and it was very loud. Now it is very quiet. If it happens again soon then I will have a meter ready to check it out properly. I might have to contact you again!

Thanks again,

Bill