Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

hi

Customer Question

hi
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you hear the motor trying to raise the motor up and down when you push the up/down button or does it act like you're not pushing the button?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

hi,

nothing happens when the up/down button is pushed. no motor noise.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
OK so it sounds like you just have a common problem that happens with these Thermador units and the up/down switch has just failed. Below is a link to the up/down switch you'd need to order for your model and the good news is that your vent is stuck in the "up" position. If it wasn't, it makes replacing the part much more difficult because the vent needs to be pulled up to remove the vent filters as well as the screws below the top vent cover panel so that you can remove the top cover and the screws coming in from the inside of the control flume so that you may pull the switch up and out for replacement. Below is a link to the up/down switch you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for part

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

so, I would rate myself as capable when it comes to home improvement, but not an expert. do I just remove the screws I can see and start taking this unit apart? if memory serves, I can see like 2 or 3 screws below the top black panel. will I need any electrical experience to do this?

thanks

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
So to replace both of these part, you actually need to pull the oven out about 12 inches so that you can remove the top access panel to replace the parts. If you open the oven doors there are screws going in through the right and left side trim. Remove these screws and then pull the oven forward (don't pull on the doors or you can bend the hinges). Then open the top door and remove the screws coming in from the bottom of the control panel to remove the control panel. Next, remove the screws coming in from the top to remove the front top panel above the oven and you'll have access to replace the parts which are both plug and play.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

hmm, the oven is not involved. its a thermador cook n vent that is behind our cook top stove.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry, please ignore that last response. Someone was responding to me from a previous day about a double oven so some how the responses got crossed.

Either way yes, if remove the filters and look under the top panel of the vent, there should be 2 or 3 screws on the left right and maybe middle of the top panel that you need to remove. The top panel will remove and then coming in from the side of the control panel the screws need to come out. There is a little ring around the up/down switch that holds the switch in place. If you unscrew the ring with a pair of pliers or something the up/down switch will release. There is a metal bracket that holds all the switches together so you may need to pull the knob off on the speed selector switch and pull the entire bracket up a few inches to get under the bracket so that you can replace the up/down switch.

Again, sorry about the previous confusion.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up to see how your appliance is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

hi tyler,

i just replaced the up/down switch on the thermador cook n vent as we discussed above using the part you provided a link for. everything i think went fine when installing the new switch, except...

when i turned the power back on, the unit was already in the up position. so i tested the exhaust vent which worked fine. then i pushed the up/down button and the unit went down. great. but now it is stuck in the down position...

the switch "clicks" so i dont think thats the problem. I've read other places that there may be an up/down trigger to stop the up/down motor from going to high or too low. could that be the problem?

thanks

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

That would not be the problem. Those limit switches tell it when to stop, but holding the up/down switch would bypass those limit switches. That means that possibly the up/down switch became un-plugged when it moved, or the motor is jammed. Those are the only thing that would allow the unit to go down but not back up.

Also, it's been over 2 weeks now. Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

so, the unit has been in the up position for a few weeks. the other day, before i replaced the switch, i was using the exhaust fan, and the unit just went down by itself. it seemed to be working fine. up and down no problem. but i left it in the up position and replaced the switch anyway. does that tell you anything about the problem?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Not really unfortunately. It still sounds like there is an issue with the switch or as I said, possibly the motor is jammed. If the motor is jammed, you'd be able to hear it hum when you press the up/down button. If you don't hear it humming, something is going on with that switch or the wiring to the switch.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

no humming from the motor. i made sure all the connections from the new switch were pretty well connected.

perhaps the issue is further down the line with the wiring?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
It's possible, but following that wiring could be quite a problem and the entire front panel would likely need to be removed. Possibly even the downdraft un-installed to follow the wiring. I'd make sure that the wires are still plugged into the switch because sometimes if the wire isn't routed properly it will pull on the wire when the unit goes up and down and it'll unplug one of the wires..

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

so weird. just as i was about to type this reply, the unit went up by itself like a ghost.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
going up and down on it's own would be either a bad limit switch or a bad up/down switch. Since it's sporadic it's really not easy to test with any certainty.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

well now i'm back where i started as the unit will not go down. except we have a brand new switch installed. no humming from the motor. the exhaust fan works too. i guess 2 final questions.

any last thoughts?

what kind of service person even works on this kind of stuff?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
You'd need to call an appliance technician to work on your unit. As for what to check, I'd check power at the lift motor while pushing the up/down switch to see if you have 120 volts going to the motor. If not, then you know the up/down switch or the wiring is still the problem. If you are getting 120 volts and it won't move, your motor is either jammed or it's overheating and shutting down until it cools down---either way the motor would need to be replaced.