The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

We have Profile PVM2070 vented version installed about four

We have Profile PVM2070 vented version installed about four years ago. It has started popping the internal breaker freaquently. I recently discovered that the two lower filters were never installed, thus allowing unfiltered steam and venting to go through it and deposit gunk on the fan I am sure. I need directions on how to safely clean it and see if that solves the problem of the popping breaker. There is nothing about such a situation in the manual.
David Moser
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name isXXXXX you for choosing Just Answer, It is my pleasure to assist you today. is it just the fan that pops the breaker when you turn it on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No the exhaust fan works fine when used by itself. It's trying to start a microwaving session that pops it, making me think the accumulation of grease on the fan inside is causing resistance to starting the microwaving session.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe the fan is the issue, when microwaves cook the use a lot of amperage to charge up the high voltage capacitor so its the amperage that blows the breaker not the fan running. this is probably on a 15 or 20 amp breaker and when you run more than one thing it draws more and trips.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But it's the microwave itself that is tripping, not our houses electrical circuit?

Are you suggesting putting in a 25 amp, or a 20 amp if the house one is a15 amp, so it takes that surge? We did have all new ELS several years ago and new wiring in the new kitchen.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well no but a dedicated line is best on these.Its not good not have more than one thing on that line. obviously theres to much on that line and its drawing to many amps and tripping the breaker. there should have been a dedicated line when the kitchen was done over , you cant really up the amperage unless the wiring can handle it. what you should try though is replacing the breaker itself, it may be getting weak and tripping to easy. that would be the first step and see how it goes, Microwaves can draw a lot of amps when running, the high voltage transformer has to charge the capacitor when heating and that takes a lot of amperage. It may just be the breaker getting weak. that's not unusual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But what I am not getting is why the microwave's breaker is popping and not our house breaker panel? Forgive me, I am not an electrician.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Oh okay , well that's still not going to be the fan, I apologize Its early and I was thinking it was popping the house fuse. I will opt out and give someone else this question. I have to go out this morning and don't want to hold you up. have a great day and thanks, Bryan
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
Are you saying that the fuse inside the unit is blowing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, The microwaving unit just stops after a few seconds of pushing the command. This does not happen every time however. We'll get several normal uses, then a stop. We restart by unplugging and then plugging in again and resetting the command. Sometimes it takes several resets to fiinally get a complete cook cycle to run through. My wife said she thought it was popping only on short warm ups like 30-60 seconds, but we've had it pop at jsut about any setting it seems?? We haven't tried to see what happens at a range various times settings.??

Okay. If the unit will reset, even after unplugging it a few times then it is not blowing the internal fuse. What you have is an intermittent failure of the main control circuitry, or possibly the magnetron itself.

If it was a gunked up fan causing this it would be blowing the internal fuse or popping the breaker at the houses electrical panel. If the internal fuse blows the unit will not operate until it is replaced.

The control board does have an internal reset that will kill the power to the unit if there is an overload of the system. Unfortunately without diagnosing the problem there is no way to tell you which component is going out.

I am sorry but this is going to require hands on testing by a repair person.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Best, Smitty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just one more question then. If as you say "an internal reset that will kill the power to the unit if there is an overload of the system", is there some chance that if I cleaned the greased up interior/fan, how would I do that?

The fan is located at the top rear of the unit. To get to it you would have to remove the unit from where it is mounted.
There should be a couple of screws in the cabinet above the unit. Remove them and the front drops down. Disconnect any ducting and the lift up on the back of the unit with the front tilted down a bit. The mount will disengage and the unit can be removed.
CAUTION!! This is a awkward removal. The unit is heavy!! This requires at minimum two men to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Gottcha, I was there when they installed it and both guys were sweating! Think I'll try setting a range of cook times and see if there's any pattern to where the popping happens. Appreciate at least having you to kick this around with. Useful service and well worth $30 to at least eliminate what it isn't caused by! Ill leave this open and get back after I try that.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

I absolutely agree, Dave. It is always good to have someone to kick problems like this around with. If anything it keeps you from kicking the machine! =)
Ill be off to work here in another hour or so. Ill be back this evening about 6pm PST if you need anything else.
Best, Smitty
Experience: 30 years repairing appliances