Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

sucessfully converted my range to LP when purchased and installed.

sucessfully converted my range to LP when purchased and installed. The large burner has always had a low flame and not much more output than the second largest burner. I am gardening and canning now. It takes forever to boil 5 gal. Can i put a larger jet on this burner?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the range was converted correctly then there would be no alteration you could do to the range to keep it from voiding the warranty. So that being said if you don't think that it was converted correctly from the beginning you would need to replace the orifice which supplies gas to that large burner. The orifice is a brass nozzle that the gas flows through and if you remove the burner cap and look straight down the center of the burner you can usually see the orifice. Now if the burner was converted properly the flames should be approximately 1/2 to 3/4" around the outside of the burner when set to high and they should be mostly blue with slight yellow flickers. Assuming that the burner converted correctly the only thing one could do to increase the amount of heat that comes out of the burner would be to remove the orifice and slightly enlarge the hole on the orifice nozzle by drilling the pin hole on the orifice. This will allow slightly more gas to flow through, but you don't want to overdo it or increase the size too much because the flames will create smoke which can blacken the bottom of your pans.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

there are a range of LP spud/orifices available in the parts list. Are spuds marked with their sizes? Can I simply install the largest LP spud #90 if the original is smaller?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Yes, you can definitely do that. The largest burner should already be using the largest orifice. But I couldn't tell you what size orifice the burner calls for normally because that is not listed unfortunately.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.