Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

We have a Maytag Dishwasher mdbh979awb3, and it works, but

We have a Maytag Dishwasher mdbh979awb3, and it works, but it doesn't change from wash cycle to dry cycle. It just keeps washing, and washing, and washing until we hit the Cancel/Drain button. Any idea what's going on? Is this something we can repair ourselves, or do we need a technician to come out?
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Is this something that has just started recently?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Kelly, yes this just started last week. It was working fine, and then this problem just started. I noticed it when I ran the dishwasher and an hour or so later it was still on wash cycle.
Thank you! If you open the door mid cycle, is the water hot and steamy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, the water is hot and steamy.

Okay, and how long is the longest you have ever let it run before stopping it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

over an hour and a half

Great! There is a soil sensor that adjusts cycle time depending on what it "sees" in the water. Either that sensor is plugged with "gunk" or is faulty. That sensor is in the bottom of the plastic sump assembly, shown as 23 in the diagram and pictured below. I would pour about 1/2 gallon of white vinegar in the bottom of the tub and leave it sit overnight. Then, run a full cycle in the morning. If it still runs at great length, replace that sensor, available below.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!