Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Whirlpool GX5SHDXVB01 refrigerator having the same problem

Customer Question

Whirlpool GX5SHDXVB01 refrigerator having the same problem as in the customer question submitted one year ago. There is frost on the back of the freezer. Freezer is cold, refrigerator is warm. I am now defrosting. I assume I probably need parts similar to the previous customer since there is frost on the back wall. Please advise.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, please give me a few minutes to look at the diagrams for your model, that way I understand the style you have and the parts in it...just about 2.

Thanks,
Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Duane you can put this model in defrost with the control. Is the freezer still cold and frosted?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, I just unplugged it thirty minutes ago

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Plug it back in give me a few minutes to find the sheet I have it somewhere
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. it's plugged back in.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Found it,,,,Click the link below, follow that instruction and tell me after 5 minutes can you hear a pop and sizzle every now and then inside at the rear freezer wall. This is inside the freezer your going to be listening to and it will only happen every few seconds.

CLICK HERE.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I think I got it in forced defrost mode. Waiting to hear some pops . . . Should the freezer drawer be open? Thanks.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. I do appreciate the opportunity to helpl.

Yes you can leave the drawer open, just listen close. Its kind of hard to hear so you may need to listen longer and thats fine. Please take your time.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The frost is melting and i do hear occasional popping noises . . .

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX let it melt out that way if you wish, you may have to run the cycle a time or two to get it all out.

I have another sheet for you, so I will upload that one and type out the answer for you. Please give me a few minutes.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thanks. It's really sizzling in there.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Oh cool thats great, its all working in the freezer. Your not going to have to do a thing in there however you do want all the water out and it all to stop before you let it go to the cooling cycle again.

You need to replace the defrost control, the defrost parts are good and working. I have linked the sheet below for you to do that. Scroll to page 2 on the left bottom where it says PC control, that is your control. Follow those directions to replace the temperature adjustment control in the fresh food section. That is the part you need to change, it has the timer on it for the defrost cycle.

CLICK HERE FOR THE SHEET

If you would like to order your part online I have linked you below, there is a year warranty included.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/12784415/1541423?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=12868513?RCAID=1000064

If you have any questions at all Duane please ask me, if not please leave a rating for me.

Thank you ,
Barry

Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. I ordered the part. I'll let you know if I have any problems installing it.

Thanks for the help tonight!

Duane

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You can give me a shout anytime, save this page to your favorites and you will always be able to reach me.

Again I want to thank you for the opportunity, I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX You and your family have a super week.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am finally getting around to trying to replace the control board, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the plastic piece to drop down when I stick the screw driver into what appear to be the slots in the front of the housing.

Any ideas?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Duane did you save the sheet I uploaded? If not let me know and I will send it again. The one that shows how to get the panel down?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did. It says to depress with a screw driver through two slots in the front of the light housing release tabs to release control board housing.

I see two slots and I stick a screw driver in them but nothing seems to move.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nevermind. . . i found the right slots and have it open now.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Great, I was trying to find an image of the housing is what was taking me so long, I'm glad you got it. I plan to be here for a while if you need me give me a shout.

Thanks,
Barry