Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have a Magic Chef washer and dryer stack unit. Model # XXXXX

I have a Magic Chef washer and dryer stack unit. Model # XXXXX It had been working fine until the dryer would not stay turned on when the start button was pressed. The dryer would stay on only after I kept the start button pressed for maybe 5 seconds and then released it. This seemed to solve the problem and the dryer would worked normally for several months. Eventually I had to keep the button pressed longer and longer before the dryer would stay on and work fine. Finally, no matter how long I kept the start button pressed, the dryer would not stay on. Every time I released the button, the dryer would turn off. The final time I tried to keep the button pressed for a long time, the dryer ran and the suddenly quit. I tried to push the button again but nothing happened. All of a sudden smoke started coming from the top of the unit. I immediately turned off the circuit breaker.

I tested the dryer start switch for continuity and it tested OK.

Any suggestions at this point would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..was the dryer growling or making a slight grinding noise whenever it kicked on?

Customer:

No, it made the normal sounds when it stayed on

Randy 43 :

after it has cooled down it still wont start ?any noises when pressing start? can you turn the drum clockwise by hand?

Customer:

after it has cooled down it still wont start ? Won't start at all now, but when it was starting, it didn't matter if it was hot or cold. any noises when pressing start? When it was working, there were no unusual noises - I just had to hold the start button down longer before it engaged. can you turn the drum clockwise by hand? Yes

Randy 43 :

if you had to press the start button longer it would be the centrifugal switch on the motor , the centrifugal switch disengages the start winding and the run winding takes over..if it is sticking and you had to hold the button longer to keep it running the dryer motor is faulty, plus it would also cause smoke from the windings if they were shorting ..the start button on the console just closes and allows power to the motor, you said you checked that ,if it has continuity it is fine ..looks like a motor issue

Customer:

What needs replacing? The entire motor? The centrifugal switch? Both or are they together?

Customer:

By the way, the unit is about 20 years old

Randy 43 :

they are together ,it is part of the motor , you cant get them seperately ..it would need the whole motor

Customer:

It sounds like you're confident a new motor would solve the problem!

Customer:

I'd like to see if I could get a few more years out of this unit

Randy 43 :

any time you have to keep pressing the start switch to keep the motor running it will be a motor issue ,no matter which make or model

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a great help

Randy 43 :

no problem , good luck

Randy 43 :

thx for using JA

Customer:

OK

Customer:

With regard to finding the motor, I would remove it and try to match it up with online parts suppliers? Do you think they still carry these? I've found parts for this unit in the Frigidaire section strangely enough

Randy 43 :

yes you would need to source them wherever you can ,even the frigidaire site , i looked at a few sites i deal with and they arent listing there , so if you have a source i would stick to that

Customer:

ok thanks