Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I am trying to laundry in my GE front load washer. I put it

I am trying to laundry in my GE front load washer. I put it on the regular colors cycle and started it up. It normally takes 50 minutes or so for the load to be done. Today, after an hour and a half, I went to check on it cause I didn't hear it beep it said that it still had 25 minutes left to go and all it was doing was spinning, then it would stop and start again. I decided to let it do its thing and went back about 15 minutes later and then it said it had 28 minutes to go. So I turned it off and just put it on the rinse and spin cycle. That worked fine until it got to the last 5 minutes and then I checked it again and it said it had 9 minutes to go. I again turned it off and of course the clothes were soaking wet. So then I just tried the drain and spin. It finally got done but took longer than it said it would and also added time. What is going on with it??!! It worked fine the other day and I have never had a problem with it. I don't want to put more clothes in it to do another cycle if it is just going to do the same thing.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So if you're not getting an error code on the screen, the washer doesn't think there is a problem. If the unit is getting stuck without an error code, this means that your motor control board is actually failing. The motor control board is the part that tells the washer when one portion of the cycle has finished and it needs to advance to the next portion of the cycle. I would unplug the washer for 24 hours to let all the electronics reset and then just start the washer again and see if it finishes or an error code appears. If the unit still won't complete, then you need to replace the motor control board mounted to the floor below the tub.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thank you. How much would a motor control board cost? Is this something that 'normally' happens to washers once they reach a certain 'age' or does something normally cause this?

I wouldn't call the issue normal, but washers do tend to fail and electronics tend to be the most unreliable parts. There usually isn't a reason why unless you know of a power outage that happened recently, and this control board is about $270. Below is a link to the part you'd need for your model from a place that allows you to return parts if you end up not needing them for whatever reason.

CLICK HERE for motor control board

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much!! Laughing

No problem and I wish you only the best.