Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Need help determining what fridge to get

Need help determining what fridge to get. I'm getting ready to pretty much buy all new appliances for my home. I'm having trouble deciding which appliances to get. I noticed many different fridges at many different prices. I am looking for a french style that is in stainless. Other than that I am not sure what I am paying for. There may be features or things that I am unaware of. What are the things that I should be looking for when purchasing a fridge/freezer? Also, are there any special seals I should be looking for or any certain brands you would suggest I shop for

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you've decided on the 2 main things that you needed to decide first which is that you want stainless steel and you want a french door style.

The next two main criteria you will also need to check. You need to know how wide and tall the cavity of your refrigerator is to know which units will fit in your opening. The other thing you need to decide on is if you want a water/ice dispenser on the outside of the refrigerator left door. This will make your refrigerator much more unreliable to have the dispenser on the door, but it's a feature that many people prefer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The size will not be much of a concern because there is plenty of room where the fridge is going and also there are water hook ups so we would prefer to have the water and ice dispensed on the door.

OK so with all of these options there are a few brands I would select from and a few I would avoid at all costs. First, avoid the Electrolux/Frigidaire line units because the icemakers and electronics have so many problems it's really out of control right now. Second, avoid the Whirlpool and Maytag units as they have an inherent design flaw with a leaking icemaker in the ceiling which accumulates moisture build up from the defrost cycle and after a few months drips. They are working on a fix for the issue, but it has not been fixed yet. At this time, I would think that the LG or Samsung refrigerators are probably the best bang for your buck and because the Samsung units tend to have more defrost and sensor failures, I'd probably select an LG french door model. In addition to that, Kenmore french door models are also made by LG so if you find a Kenmore model you like, you would be getting an LG product as well.