Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My dishwasher is leaking through the float in the right front

My dishwasher is leaking through the float in the right front bottom of the tub. There is a switch under the tub which is activated by the high water float in the tub. I would like to know wwhat the ohm reading for the switch should be and if there is a washer or grommet for the float. The float seems very loose.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the float is designed to be very loose. There is no washer or grommet that stops the water from leaking. The water level should never get that high to cause a leak through the float assembly.

As for the switch, you should have less than 1 ohm resistance between the 2 terminals when the float is down and you should have no continuity at all when the float has been raised.

Only rarely is the float an issue unless it's sticking and not floating up. The more common reasons for a leak are either a bad door seal or possibly the washer wash arm has a split in the seam so when the arm is under pressure water shoots out and creates waves in the water on the floor causing a leak.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!