Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirlpool gold catalyst washer SM(NNN) NNN-NNNN- it fills,

I have a whirlpool gold catalyst washer SM(NNN) NNN-NNNN- it fills, and the timer counts down, but it will not wash or drain

Tyler Z. :

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Tyler Z. :

So the model number you have listed is actually the serial number. Can you please look under the lid down near the hinges for a sticker with the full model number on the unit please? It should be just above the serial number.

Customer:

Okay - give me just a second - it's in a different room

Tyler Z. :

OK I'll be here

Customer:

sorry about that - model #GSX9885JQ0

Tyler Z. :

Perfect thank you So the timer counts down but you hear no noises whatsoever after it's done filling, is that correct?

Customer:

correct

Tyler Z. :

OK so this is a fairly common problem with these Catalyst washers. The problem is that a relay that powers the motor fails which is why the unit still counts down but the unit won't run the motor so it can't wash, spin, or drain. The control board inside the control panel will need to be ordered and replaced to fix this issue. The problem is that the part is no longer made, but I have found someone with one in stock. Below is a link to the part.

Tyler Z. :

http://www.appliance-parts-usa.com/Kenmore-Washer-Electronic-Control-8577278_p_4484.html

Customer:

how easy is it to replace? I will be doing the work myself

Tyler Z. :

Actually quite easy. Below is a video that shows you how to remove the control panel, but once you get inside the part is all plug and play and takes maybe 15 minutes to swap out.

Tyler Z. :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNRd04vwc4Y

Customer:

I have the control panel removed - so that's one part complete :) Okay thank you very much for your assistance. I will order the part and keep my fingers crossed that resolves my issue :)

Tyler Z. :

Not a problem and I wish you only the best!

Customer:

Thanks again

Tyler Z. :

you're very welcome. Have a great rest of the day

Tyler Z. :

Sorry about that

Tyler Z. :

I had my rating turned off.

Tyler Z. :

I have turned it on now

Customer:

okay thanks :)