Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

For Whirlpool Factory Trained Tech only: we have a Whirlpool

For Whirlpool Factory Trained Tech only: we have a Whirlpool Duet Washer (GHW9100LW1) that is 10yrs old. A year after we had it house was flooded due to hurricane and water reached bearings on back tub of tub. My spouse is an electrician and he got it working again but the bearings have been shot ever since. Machine still worked and we've lived w/noisy bearings. Finally got so bad recently we knew had to replace back tub w/new bearing assembly. Got the part and replaced yesterday. Today doing first couple of loads of laundry when it's in final spin cycle it still makes noise - a knocking when it's on high speed spin. After final spin when it rotates slowly to loosen clothes it's quiet turning counter-clockwise but clockwise it's hard to describe - a growl type noise. Any ideas as to what's going on?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So it sounds like you're bearing itself may have come defective, but the other possibility is that the shaft which goes through the bearing may be damaged as well. Whenever the bearing goes bad, you must also replace the inner stainless steel basket because the shaft is attached to this basket and it will 100% of the time get damaged when the bearing goes bad. So if you only replaced the rear tub, I would return it and warranty it out. Then order a new inner basket as well as the new outer tub and install both together and you should be good to go again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yeah, he was thinking shaft on tub got damaged due to bad bearings altho can't really see it. But he also wondered if you can get defective bearings w/a new part. Assume you've seen that happen since you mention it.

At this point if we have to replace both parts have looks at cost of both pieces vs new machine.

Yes, I've had 3 bearings come bad in my time. I remember each of them because the job isn't a fun job as I'm sure you know after doing it once already.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could it also be bearings that cause the weird growl noise on slow rotation (especially since it's only in 1 direction)

yes it can. So that's why I said you need to return the part and then also order the inner stainless steel basket. If you don't return the part, you could end up having to do this 3 times instead of just the currently needed 2 times.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK - thanks a lot for the advice.

Not a problem at all.
So washing machine cleaners are essential for front load washers and I would go with a product called "Affresh". The reason they are needed is because water is always stored under the stainless steel basket which can create mildew. Now since you leave the door cracked open, this will mitigate almost all the problems you would normally see, but you'll still want to clean the washer once in a while (maybe once very 6 months instead of once a month).