Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Kenmore elite ht3 washer, high high spin makes very large thumping

Kenmore elite ht3 washer, high high spin makes very large thumping sound. Inner tub front, plastic lip is frayed or worn / broken around the lip in several areas around the ring. HMMMMM
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So unfortunately this issue can be caused by only one thing and it's definitely a serious issue. There is a inner basket tub support mounted to the back of the inner stainless steel basket. This support has 3 arms and it is part of the main tub shaft which goes through the rear bearing. Either way, one of the arms has broken or become detached from the inner stainless steel tub. Unfortunately on HE3 models, this support is not sold separately. That means that you'd need to replace the entire inner stainless steel tub. If a hole wore completely through the front of the outer plastic tub, then it will also need to be replaced. If the lip is just frayed, you can clean it up and it won't need to be replaced. This is really a major repair and the basket costs about $300 normally and will take half a day to replace the part out.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

#8181912 tub, rear (NNN) NNN-NNNNtub front It looks like these are the two parts # XXXXX my Sear booklet.

The rear tub has these arms attached permanently? Do you think this is all I will need to repair it my self? Or ?

So you don't need the rear tub. You need the entire inner stainless steel basket. And then if you have a hole rubbed through the front, you also need part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNwhich is the front of the outer tub.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I need this part #8181914

can pull that from the front after removing the front panels

and it sounds like the part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNwhich is the front of the outer tub could be optional?

That is correct, you need part(NNN) NNN-NNNN The front outer tub is optional unless there is a hole completely through it which means you'd need to replace it as well.

And yes, access to replacing the tubs is through the top and front. The entire tub assembly will need to be removed and the tub split apart to replace the inner basket.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX as a hole through the front outer tub having a hole through it, I only see broken plastic lip on the edges in 3 spots. Still useable and function-able correct?

If I have fixed this washer and dryer before I feel I should be able to tackle such a task. I hoping it wont get into like a laptop mother board LOL Thanks for all your help I will of course give you the best rating this is.

Still spins with minimal noise on low for the moment.

yes, the front of the tub should still be useable still if you just have wear on the front of the tub. And not a problem at all. If you need anything else, just let me know. It's quite a big job so I do wish you the best.