Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a Frigidair fridge made in Mexico. It is side by side

Customer Question

I have a Frigidair fridge made in Mexico. It is side by side model #FRS6LF7FQ3. Couple of weeks ago ice maker stop dispensing ice cubes. Ice storage bin has ice, but ice cubes are smaller size and stuck together.
Motor is running while I try to dispense ice. I emptied and cleaned ice storage bin and start ice maker again, but with same result. there is ice in the bin, ice cubes are small and frozen together.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 11 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

If you remove the ice bin, then hold the door light switch so the lights are off in the freezer. Then press the dispenser for ice you can see the fork turn?

If it turns the release the dispenser and turn the fork with your hand, is it difficult to turn like you are turning a gearbox with it?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello Barry G. Thank you for answering my question. Fork did turn after I hold light switch and I was able to turn fork by hand. I felt resistance similar as to turning gear box.

Hello Roman how are you?

Take a look at your ice maker, the part below the white on the sides should be olive green. Has that turned brown?

There is a heater on the bottom of the ice maker that will sometimes stick and stay on,, don't touch it there.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Barry,

Sorry, I do not see any part of olive green color. Are you asking about part that has shape of ice cubes ? This part is kind of brownish color and is not warm on touch.

Yea that part as well is the same and will change color if the heater stays on.

When you empty the ice bin Roman is there a block of ice in the bottom of it apart from the cubes which are shaped at the top?

Also have you noticed a lot of frost on the food in the freezer or anything odd at all with the food in there?

Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ice cubes are kind of frozen into block of ice . Some product on top shelf of the freezer ( just below ice maker ) have thin layer of ice on them like some water was dripping on them and get frozen.

That really sounds like something quits for a while then comes back on. I guess the only thing to do is do all of the main checks. I am sorry for the delay, I was trying to thing of something I had seen that would do that. Please take your time and make the checks below.

First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

If the freezer fan is operating and you found no frost on the rear inside wall of the freezer go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

freezer fan is working and there are no frost on the rear inside wall of the freezer. Compressor is warm and I can here click. Fan is working

The compressor does click every few minutes?

Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I herd it once. Temperature in ref and freezer is OK.

Listen for it, if you heard it once and the compressor is not so hot on the top that you can hold your hand on it that is the problem. The compressor is only running sometimes. The reason to check for the heat is to be sure its not burning up inside. If you can hold your hand on it than it is not. Its a very good, reliable way to test.

The part mounts on the side of the compressor and is held on by a retainer clip and cover.

graphic
View Full Image

To replace that part UNPLUG THE UNIT. Remove the retainer clip and cover and pull the part straight off. Have the new part in hand and remove the wires one at a time and place that wire on the new part one at a time so the wires do not get mixed up.

The best thing to do is take the parts in hand to an appliance parts store and let them match up the part because I do not believe that number listed on the parts list is an exact replacement part. I think that is going to be a generic number even though it is the one Frigidaire has listed as the replacements I stated above this is probably going to be the problem it is a very common failure, and it is going to be the only thing you can do to attempt a repair. There is a very very small chance the compressor is bad and if the repair does not work you will have to call for service. If you do the following is what you need to know before accepting an agreement for service.

Do you have a license to recover freon? (They must be licensed its federal law) That way they just cannot come out without you knowing and charge you then leave because they do not have one.

What is the minimum you charge for a sealed system repair?

Please ask me if you have any questions at all Roman. If not please leave a rating for me.

Thanks,
Barry

Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Compressor does not need to run all the time, does it ? If temperature is OK would it not sign of compressor working properly? The part you are suggesting to replace is this some kind of relay ?

Yes its a relay and overload. If you follow the wires to the side of the compressor they go directly to those parts. If you can find a place that does compressor replacements in your area you may be able to get those parts really cheap. There are always extra of those parts in the box with a new compressor, and Roman only accept the parts that are the same as you take off your refrigerator. There are a ton of those around and someone should have them without saying for example "oh you can use this its better" don't believe it. I see that all the time and take my word for it, they are not better.

No the compressor does not need to run all the time but it should never click while the fans are operating, if it does that then at times it is not getting power from those parts.

Yes if you heard that click and the fan in the freezer and the fan outside did not stop plus the compressor is not too hot then yes I do believe that will be all you need to do to repair the refrigerator.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thank you

You are very welcome Roman, Thank you for the opportunity. Also you and your family have a very nice Sunday.

Barry