Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore

Hey Barry. I have a Kitchenaid KFIV29PCMS00. Its been installed

Hey Barry. I have a Kitchenaid KFIV29PCMS00. It's been installed for about 3 months. When I cane home from a few days away, the freezer wasn't holding temp. Lights come on, and I can hear some sort of air blowing in the fridge unit. Don't know if fridge is holding temp.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Good morning, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with your refrigerator. I need to ask a few questions to help determine the problem. Is there frost on the rear wall inside the freezer section? Is the fan under the refrigerator near the floor running. If there is no frost in the freezer and the bottom fan is running it is very likely that you have a problem with the compressor down in the unit compartment behind the refrigerator. The bad news is that you won't be able to do this yourself but the good news is that it is covered by warranty. To get your refrigerator back in operation as quickly as possible, call a repair company that does warranty work and have them send a service tech that does refrigeration systems. Let me know what you are seeing.

Customer: There is no frost. Some sort of fan is running. I can't tell if it's at the bottom of the refrigerator. When I open the fridge door or freezer drawer the fan stops.
Appliance Tech Dave :

That would be the fan at the very top of the freezer section. It moves air in the freezer and up into the refrig section. Either the compressor is not running or it is not pumping properly. This will require a technician. Does the dealer where you bought the refig do their own repairs?

Customer: I bought directly from Whirlpool. Fridge was shipped from factory to my house.
Appliance Tech Dave :

Okay. If you give me your zip code I may be able to recommend service. You want someone that can do sealed system work so your refrig gets repaired quickly. It takes an hour and a half to do a compressor but they need to have the part and the equipment.

Customer: 29572 - Is it
Appliance Tech Dave :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX check for you.

Customer: is it it best to call repair company or Whirlpool?
Appliance Tech Dave :

You will need to call Whirlpool first at(NNN) NNN-NNNNbut I want to give you the best company to ask for.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Service in your area is a bit limited. Let the call taker know you suspect it MIGHT be the compressor and ask if they can send one. It looks like either A&E or Nelson's Appliance are the options. Which ever one is first available and prepared to do a compressor if that turns out to be the problem would be who I would ask for. I can't guarantee it is the compressor but they should be prepared.

Appliance Tech Dave :

I will be away for a few hours but if I can be of further assistance please let me know. Dave