Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands

I have a Kenmore Elite Model 110 type 111. It will wash and

I have a Kenmore Elite Model 110 type 111.
It will wash and rinse beautifully and correctly but will not spin on either the permanent press or the Heavy duty cycle. But I can hear the motor. Is there a belt maybe that is lose or broken??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 8 months ago.

Repairman1981 :

does the water level fall? Can you post the rest of the model number so I can see which type of whirlpool this is?

Customer:

yes the water level falls.

Customer:

110.24422300

Repairman1981 :

just a min lemme pull this model up

Customer:

ok.

Repairman1981 :

ok .... there can be only 2 possibilities. To narrow it down I need you to fill it with water again and check the agitation. You either have a bad motor coupling (this will affect agitation) or you have a problem with the transmission/clutch

Repairman1981 :

So fill it with water and lift the lid. Then press the lid switch and see if it actually agitates not just sounds like it does

Customer:

I don't have a lid switch anymore, it was repaired about 18 months ago and the gentleman said that it was just a safety thing anyway so that is ruled out

Customer:

it will agitate in the wash and rinse cycle

Customer:

it just will not spin

Repairman1981 :

ok .. well yes it's just a safety thing .... as a servicer I cannot bypass that or I could be sued when someone rips an arm off. But yes if it's bypassed that's fine. Hopefully you don't have any kids.

Repairman1981 :

So if agitation is fine but it just won't spin that is a bad clutch

Repairman1981 :

Lemme get you a part number. I think I have a link to a video of how to install it and even a place to order from.

Customer: (NNN) NNN-NNNNis for the clutch
Repairman1981 :

Repairclinic.com the part number is XXXXX and the video is on the same page with the part. Repair clinic is pretty helpful on the common stuff like this, and if you have any questions I'm happy to help further. You will need a spanner wrench to access the tub nut and pull the transmission TB123A is the part number for it

Repairman1981 :

that has been replaced with 285785 but your right(NNN) NNN-NNNNis the clutch

Repairman1981 :

be sure you order a spanner wrench, other than the wrench, the clutch and basic hand tools/sockets it's not hard to change and this will get you going

Customer:

How much is it usually do you know??

Repairman1981 :

The clutch releases the brake and allows spin. If agitate works your fine on all the major stuff

Repairman1981 :

31.55 for the clutch from them, 12.45 for the wrench

Repairman1981 :

Of course you can google and maybe do better??? but repair clinic has one of the best return policies in the industry and I try to support them since they actually take boards back when they aren't the issue.....unlike ANYONE else

Repairman1981 :

when you get in there and are changing it if you have any issues there is no charge to return here for help. I can do these in about 20 mins ... so I'm sure you can handle it

Repairman1981 :

and combined with that video on repair clinic's site I don't think you will have any issues

Customer:

it took me almost an hour just to get the back off the thing!! are you sure LOL

Repairman1981 :

oh no you didn't pull the back did you????

Repairman1981 :

Your gonna hate putting that back on. That's not how you get into these

Repairman1981 :

I did that the first time I ever worked on one .... took me about 2 hours to put a water valve on.

Customer:

great :-/

Repairman1981 :

I haven't actually watched the video on repair clinic's site, but I will tell you this .... I don't take any of the case off to change them

Repairman1981 :

I lean them back at a 45 degree angle

Repairman1981 :

after removing the agitator and drum nut (that's what the tool is for)

Customer:

yes the back is off and everything is exposed, I was looking for a belt that slipped to just put back on!!

Repairman1981 :

Then remove the drain pump, unhook the wire from the motor

Repairman1981 :

Then undo the 3 bolts holding the transmission, drop the transmission/motor assembly. Take the clutch off. Replace the clutch (comes with instructions) and then reinstall and bolt back in

Repairman1981 :

VERY EASY

Repairman1981 :

Probably easier than getting that back back on

Customer:

so can I put the back of it back on for the repair or leave it all off??

Repairman1981 :

You will probably HAVE to put it back on. If you lean it back with it off the case will likely bent

Repairman1981 :

bend

Repairman1981 :

If you had taken the case off like your supposed to to work on these, I would say leave it off .... less weight

Repairman1981 :

But there is no point removing it .... doesn't make it easier or harder to do

Customer:

okay!! thank you ever so much for aeverything!!

Repairman1981 :

no problem. Again if you have any issues return to this question (you'll get an emailed copy of our chat with a link to return) and if you need anything else I'm happy to hepl

Repairman1981 :

help

Repairman1981 :

I'm truly and EXPERT on these machines I love them and wish whirlpool still made them. Unfortunately they don't they decided to go the control board route like everyone else. So hold onto it :)

Customer:

okay!! thank you so very, very much!!

Customer:

oh, in the meantime is there anything that I can do for the wet clothes IN my washer??

Repairman1981 :

Have a good rest of your weeken. Thanks!

Repairman1981 :

you can actually try spinning several times in a row, starting and stopping with the timer since your lid switch doesn't work. If it's just worn out and not broken then you can get it to spin usually

Repairman1981 :

If not wring them out by hand and dry them

Repairman1981 :

Should be clean if you have re rinsed them :)

Customer:

OK. I will surely try!!

Customer:

thanks again for everything! Have a great weekend!!

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands