Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience:  Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business
69602385

WE have a Kenmore Elite Dishwasher (9 years old) and it wont

WE have a Kenmore Elite Dishwasher (9 years old) and it won't fully drain the water. How can I get it to drain?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 12 months ago.
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
Is the unit draining for the most part, or is more water remaining in the unit than is being pumped out?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I run the full dishwasher cleaning cycle and it seems like it's pumping some, but the bottom is completely full of water.

Well, Heather, so much for it being a super simple issue.
May I please have the units model number?
Thank you.
Smitty
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Not sure which one it is, but this is listed on the front of the Use & Care Guide I have: (NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN The Use & Care Guide says: Ultra Wash Dishwasher. Use & Care guide number(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Please open the door and look on the left hand door frame/wall. The manufacturers label is there. I need the number from there please.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

This number was by the energy star icon -(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

The number will be similar to one of those on the care guide. There will be a few more numbers though. e.g;(NNN) NNN-NNNNnn
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Sorry, I was looking in the wrong place. Here you go:

Mod: 665.16469300

Stock: 16469

Type: 577-0

Ser: FR3212134

Thank you. One moment please.
Heather, I am sorry, but I do not have the information you need. I will opt out and another expert might.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Okay. Will someone else contact me?

Expert:  Appl-Tech replied 12 months ago.

Hello, thanks for letting us answer your questions. We appreciate your business! I am a different technician. I see that Smitty has opted out of your question, so I will try to help you find out why your dishwasher will not drain. Can you tell me if you have a siphon gap on the top of your sink? The water would go thru the device when the machine drains. It would look like this part.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

No, we don't have one of those on our sink

Your dishwasher uses a small separate drain pump to drain the machine. The first thing we need to do is determine where the end of the drain hose goes. If you do not have a siphon gap, then the hose must terminate at the drain pipe. Most of the time it is under the sink, but not always. Find the end of the drain hose and disconnect it from the drain system. Then place the end of the hose into a bucket and then try running the drain cycle on your machine and see how fast the water drains into the bucket.
If the machine drains into the bucket, then you have a clogged drain line.
If the water just trickles into the bucket, then you have one of two problems.
1. the drain hose is got something stuck inside it and it preventing the water from exiting the machine. In that case you will have to pull the machine from under the cabinet and run a snake thru it to clear whatever is inside it.
2. the drain pump is running, but it is not pumping. If that is the case you will need to replace the pump. Is is located on the left side of the main module under the machine. It is held in by a twist lock mount. You need to press down on the small tab on the top of the pump and twist it CCW about 1/2 turn and it comes out. The drain hose is attached to it. So just follow the drain hose to locate it.
Tell me what you find.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I see where the drain hose is connected to our sink drain pipe. I will attempt to disconnect it and see what happens. I will get back to you shortly.

ok i will be online for another hour
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Ok. I disconnected the pipe and ran the drain cycle. A small stream of water drained into the bucket and when the cycle ended, I checked the dishwasher and there was still water in the bottom. I ran the drain cycle again and only drops can out of the pipe.

The you have to proceed to the next steps. I would remove the drain hose and check it for a clog. You will have to pull the machine out from under the cabinet to do it. Or if you have one of those drain snakes that look like a spring, the you could slide it thru the the hose starting at the sink end and it should come out on the pump end under the dishwasher.
It is a pain, but there is no other way to check it. You could temporarily place a hose on the end of the pump, if you have one and see if the machine will pump normally.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Okay. I will try to pull it out and work on it from there. Thanks for your help with this!

your welcome. Just let me know what you find out.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

It may have been a clog somewhere in the hose. I was not able to figure out how to unhook the hose from the pump. Our hose was really long. I unhooked the excess hose from the side of the dishwasher and basically laid it out as flat as I could. I ran a few rinse cycles through it and eventually I got a very strong flow of water to come out of it. I am running a test cleaning with all the hoses put back where they were originally hooked and I will see what the results are in the morning. Thank you for your help.

Thats is what normally happens when I see problems like yours.
Go to the hardware store and buy one of those 1/4" spring sewer cleaner snakes. They are 20ft long and should be able to go thru your entire hose and push out the plug.
If you have been satisfied with my help and have no further questions for me, may I please ask that you rate my help as positive for JA today?
You may continue to ask me any follow-up questions after rating my help by hitting the "Save & Exit" Button. I will be notified by email of your request should you still need my help.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you out with your question.

Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience: Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business