Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert

Kitchenaid KBFA25ER2201 frig and freezer not working. 7 yrs

Kitchenaid KBFA25ER2201 frig and freezer not working. 7 yrs old
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..is there any oil in the drain pan? do you see any frost build up on the rear panel of the freezer section ? on the inside of the freezer thx
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

no oil in the drain pan. However, looks like there may have been some greenish liquid that is all dried up. no frost build up anywhere.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 months ago.
Is the compressor definately running ? not just hot from trying to start? but all the other fans are running? the one in the freezer section as well as the one by the compressor?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I don't know if the compressor is 'definitely' running. Not sure what it sounds like or feels like when the frig and freezer are working. It is humming and slight vibration. can't open bottom freezer drawer because of how it is pulled out against island unit. But, inside frig sounds like a fan is running.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 months ago.
if the compressor is vibrating constantly then it is running , it has a slight hum . if both the fans and the compressor are all running but you dont have any cooling in either section ,that indicates a sealed system issue ,this is a problem with the freon ,most likely a leak in the evaporator coil , freon has leaked out and there will be no cooling , the green fluid or any oil indicates moisture in the system ,another symptom of a leak ,this is a big job to repair , the system would need to be pressurized and then a leak test ,if the leak is found ,then it would need that part repaired and the system recharged with new gas
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Can you provide a cost range to fix a leak and recharge the system? I just need to understand the magnitude of this option

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 months ago.
most likely a evaporator ,suction line needed ,approx $200 for parts ,$300-$400 for labour and time , supplies and gas approx$50 its a big job if you dont have any sealed system warranty left? double check the manual for any "sealed system warranty"
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

In your opinion (stress 'opinion') would this warranty clause cover this repair (frig is 7 yrs old)

SIXTH THROUGH TENTH YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY ON SEALED REFRIGERATION SYSTEM PARTS

In the sixth through tenth years from date of purchase, when this major appliance is operated and maintained according to instructions

attached to or furnished with the product, KitchenAid will pay for factory specified parts to correct defects in materials or workmanship

in the sealed refrigeration system. These parts are: compressor, evaporator, condenser, dryer, and connecting tubing.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 months ago.
Yes , if you have 6-10th yr sealed system then it will be covered ,if it says labour as well ? then it is all covered ..if no mention of labour then all the parts will be covered atleast

but if everything running and no cooling ,it is definately a sealed system issue
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert