Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi. I have a KHHS179LSS5 microwave from KitchenAid. The touch

Hi. I have a KHHS179LSS5 microwave from KitchenAid. The touch pad control panel has stopped responding to the touch. I am able to run the microwave by inputting the time on the physical buttons and pressing start. I believe that the control panel is bad, but do not know for sure. If so, how does one fix this problem and how can it be avoided?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the buttons themselves work but the touch display won't work, then you do have an issue with the actually touch control itself. These touch displays are very finicky and generally just fail for no reason, but sometimes they just get confused and you can reset them by unplugging the microwave or turning the circuit breaker off for 60 seconds to reset the electronics. If you haven't tried that already, unplug the unit and see if it resets the issue. If the touch control still won't work, then it will need to be replaced and below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model. The part does appear to be backordered everywhere that I see, so it must be failing quite often or being re-designed. The part itself is about $200.

CLICK HERE

To access the part for replacement, just unplug the unit and remove the screws coming in from the top of the top vent panel. The vent panel will then pull off and that will expose a screw at the top of the control panel. Remove this screw and the control panel will pull up and off to access the parts on the back of the control panel so you can replace the LCD touch control.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. I have unplugged the unit but will be surprised if it is just a temporary problem because we have lost power before. But your advice rings true. I will let you know how this turns out. I recently purchased grease filters and the charcoal insulation filters from partselect.com and was very pleased with how quickly I received them. If I have to get a replacement LCD touch panel, I hope to have the same experience.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
OK sounds great. There's no way to know if resetting the power would fix the issue or not until you try it, but I really like Partselect.com as well as Repairclinic.com and Appliancepartspros.com. All seem to be very reliable and quick on shipping parts.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ha! The reboot worked. Thank you very much. I will get the information about the new part just in case the reboot does not work next time. But I am very happy thatIi contacted you rather than spin my wheels looking at some of the posts on the Internet. Best wishes.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Awesome,I'm glad you got it all back up and running again!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.