Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

my Samsung isnt heating and the clean filter light goes on

my Samsung isn't heating and the clean filter light goes on and the dryer turns off. I cleaned the filter in the dryer and behind the dryer. is there anything else I could do?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker just inside the door way somewhere.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK perfect, thank you. So first, this dryer will think that the lint filter is clogged if it's taking too long to heat up the drum. Now you said the dryer isn't heating which would explain why it thinks the filter is clogged since it will definitely take too long to heat up the drum if the dryer is not heating. That means you have 1 problem and it has to do with your dryer now longer heating.

Now you'll need a multimeter in order to test the heater and thermostats on the side of the heater to see if one of them failed. The dryer will need to be completely taken apart and then you can see a silver canister like the one in the link below.

CLICK HERE to see heater

Check continuity through both round black and silver devices as well as through the heater itself. If any of them are open, it needs to be replaced. Also, make sure the dryer is getting 240 volts from your house because it will run but it won't heat with only 120 volts.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I sure dont happen to have a multimeter handy. I was hopefully thinking I needed to clean out the filter maybe outside the house.

Ah, that understandable, but the error is misleading. If the vent is clogged, it stops the heat from flowing through the dryer so it will take forever to heat, but it still heats. That is why when you have a heating component fail, you get the same "lint" light error telling you that you have a clogged filter even though you don't have a clogged filter.