Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hello - thank you for your time. Would you please tell me the

Hello - thank you for your time. Would you please tell me the difference between a CERAMIC heater and a STOVE type heater? Do you prefer one to another??

I was interested in using it as a supplemental heater in some of the rooms in my 100 yr old house - which is very drafty and EXPENSIVE to heat. Also - is it dangerous to leave the area when either one is running? I had an aunt who had a small one to warm her feet and every time she would leave the room (to get coffee or tea or let her dog into the yard) she would turn it off. I told her it wasn't necessary - but perhaps she was thinking of the old kerosene heater and was nervous.

Thanks again
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So in general, ceramic heaters were designed to be a bit safer and more efficient. That is really their primary difference. The heating functions are relatively the same in the way that they work. They both turn on and off to regulate the heat instead of adjusting the voltage to change the heat from low to high. So for example, on low the heaters will turn on for 5 seconds and then shut off for 30 seconds, so on and so forth.

All heaters portable or open should be turned off if you leave the area because they could result in a fire if something were to go wrong (for instance a cat walking by and catching their fur on fire or knocking the unit over.