Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I have a GE Profile Artica SxS refrigerator purchased in 2002.

I have a GE Profile Artica SxS refrigerator purchased in 2002. It has been making a shuddering noise when the compressor stops. I have an audio recording of the noise that I just made. Can you help me diagnose the problem?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Is the fridge still cooling okay? I don't know that you can attach an audio file here but you can try. I would like to hear it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, Refrigerator is cooling/freezing OK. If you have an e-mail addr I can send you the file. The attachment feature here doesn't like the file type (.wma).

I m very sorry Bill, we are only allowed to communicate here but we can download from public sites without violating our terms of service. I use the place linked below. Try that one.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I put the audio up on my Sky Drive cloud storage. Here's the link.

about 15 seconds long.

Wow that sounds like it,,,,well I ll not go there.

Inside the tank Bill are a motor and springs. The motor is mounted onto the springs to reduce vibration. What that sound to me like is back pressure, meaning the compressor has built up pressure (which is what it should do). Then at shutoff its bleeding back and causing the vibration of the motor. It sounds like there is a weak spring allowing the motor to vibrate, thats what it really sounds like. And that could last for years, its not a real failure. Its a spring allowing the motor to touch the tank and that is the noise.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it does sound like that.

So the spring is internal and can not be repaired without replacing the compressor?

What's an estimate for replacing the compressor?

Yes sir the spring is internal. Its like a motor mount on a car, about the same thing.

No the repair is replace the compressor. Thats it, you just cannot fix it I am so sorry to say. The motor sits on springs and when one gets weak the motor leans over that way and eventually that is the sound.

In my hometown Bill where I work we charge 500 dollars to do that work and that is a complete job with warranty. You should call around because even here in my local area prices vary greatly....We are about in the middle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Thank you. I think we're done.

A little feedback: the chat process on this site is disconcerting. When I reply, the chat window just disappears. It doesn't reappear until you reply. Other chats I have used let the entire chat dialogue remain visible so I can review the conversation easily while waiting for a reply.

I do not get much feedback,,,I am so glad that you said that Bill. I really mean that. I cannot see your side and I think sometimes I lose customers because of problems "on your side" that I cannot see. I know Im a good person, and I know I am a fair tech. And just poof someone goes away without me knowing why.

If you get the time let Justanswer know exactly how you feel. That would be great. Click the link below and look to the top right.

You take the best of care and if you need anything, ,, I really mean anything at all please ask me. Save this page to your favorites/bookmarks and I will do my very best to help.