Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Maytag Neptune Washer, model #MAH50AWQ - serial #47936249JL I

I have a Maytag Neptune Washer, model #MAH50AWQ - serial #47936249JL

I just started a load and the there's an on & off noise in the control panel, sounds like a gear maybe & the washer goes back to beginning of starting. I tried again & it did the same thing but this time where the starting minutes would appear, it has an FL.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The "FL" means that your door lock has failed to recognize the door locking properly. If you're sure the door is securely shut, there really isn't much you can do but to order and replace the door latch assembly to fix this issue. Below is a link to the door latch you'd need to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for door latch

Now below is a video on how to ACCESS the latch assembly. The latch is not the exact same and your model doesn't have a wax motor so please ignore the part about replacing the wax motor, but access to replace the latch assembly is the same on your model.

CLICK HERE for video

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just tried the washer again. At first I noticed that the 'door locked' light did not come on and the start button was blinking as if it was paused. I opened the door & shut it again and then pushed the start button. It took longer it seemed before it locked but it did show locked and started. So, it would seem to me that I don't need the latch replaced ''yet''. But, perhaps I need to watch it closely. Does that sound logical to you? I'm happy it's working right now. Thank you.

Aye, that sounds about right. If it still works sporadically then you can continue using it, but eventually the latch will need to be replaced as problems tend to only get worse as time goes on.