Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Type your question here. My Maytag clothes dryer wont stop

Type your question here.
My Maytag clothes dryer won't stop running when I open the door. I believe it's a defective door switch. How do I replace it?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So it sounds like you're correct and you need a new door switch. But do you have a model number so I can see how your dryer comes apart? It should be located on a sticker just inside the doorway somewhere and can be seen if you open the door.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The model number of my Maytag dryer is: MEDC700VW0

OK perfect. So on this unit, you must remove the control panel and top panel as well as lower front panel to even gain access to the screws going into the upper front panel so that you can remove the upper front panel to access the switch for replacement.

Let's start with the lower front panel. There are 2 hidden metal clips inside the seam between the upper front panel and lower front panel. Slide a putty knife or flat head screwdriver over top of these clips (about 3-4" from the sides of the dryer) and pry down to release the lower front panel. Then the panel will just hinge forward and down. Remove the 2 screws exposed in the lower right and left corner of the upper front panel.

Next, pull the dryer forward and unplug it. Slide a putty knife under the control panel end caps on the right and left side. Push back on these hidden spring clips and the control panel will hinge up and backwards. Remove the 3 screws along the back of the top panel and the top panel should then pull forward, up, and off. Now remove the 2 screws on the right and left side of the dryer coming from the inside holding the front panel on. The front panel will then pull off to replace the door switch.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have no further questions but have found out since that I can go on line and findf a video as to how to replace the switch. I've done this and at no cost. The answer was very simple and the replacement switch costs less than $3.00 (not the $31.77 that Maytag quoted me).

Your answer was fine but the video was much better.

Thanks,

Bill

Alright, I'm very glad everything has been solved and it's up and running again. If you need anything else, just let us know.