Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My ice maker has developed an unusual problem. It is a 13

My ice maker has developed an unusual problem. It is a 13 year old whirlpool gold but just recently developed the following problem. While in "cube" mode, the cubes stop coming out but I can hear grinding as though it is in the "crushed" mode. However neither cubes nor crushed ice dispenses.....it just keeps grinding. When I open the freezer door, a rush of very finely ground ice (much finer than what is dispensed in "crushed" mode) spills out onto the floor. I also notice (if it might help in your dagnosis) that there is a huge build up of both ice and frost around the neck of the dispensing shute (but not enough to impede the discharge of ice) and around the opening of the bottom of the ice box where the ice is dispensed. I dump the ice and examine the ice box and notice that the brass "gears" which I presume does the crushing, are completely engulfed in ice. I thaw everything out and the unit will work fine for about a week, then the symptoms happen all over again. Freezer temp setting has not been changed in 13 years and the door seals still look like new. Hope I have given you enough make a diagnosis. Thanks in advance. Chuck
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

GD22DFXFW02

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! If you look up in the ice dispenser area when you press the paddle to dispense ice, does the door open fully or does it seem to hang up on the right side and not open all the way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it opens evenly and closes evenly as well after to ice is dipensed

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! Now, if you open the freezer door to see the seal side of that little flapper door, do you see any gaps in the seal where it may be allowing warm air in to the ice chute area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My flap does not look like the one you have displayed, however I cannot see any gaps and yet I can't tell if it sealing the way it should

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I understand, thank you. The symptoms you describe are indicative of that flapper door not sealing well. The new one is different looking than the one you have, the sealing face has been redesigned. I would recommend replacing the flapper door. The correct one for your model is available below as well as a video showing how to replace it!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Ice Chute Door <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Repair Video <----- CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your suggestion. I had vaguely suspected something wasn't sealing (somewhere) properly to allow all the frost and ice to build up.

I have ordered the part and after watching the video, I believe I will be able to install the new flapper myself. Hope this solves the problem. Thanks again. Chuck

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You should be good to go. Let me know how it goes, thank you!
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!