Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hi Tyler I have a Frigidaire Gallery fridge (one year old).

Hi Tyler
I have a Frigidaire Gallery fridge (one year old). Earlier today, someone left freezer door open, then closed it, causing everything to defrost and then freeze again (leaving icicles all over freezer.
About 3 hours later, the fridge temp started to go up, then down, and now rising up again. The freezer temp has dropped down and stayed at zero for the past 2 hours, but the fridge temp is going up and down from 39 to 51 degrees .

would this just be resolved by allowing freezer to thaw out for 24 hrs (read an old post of yours).

how long do you think I can keep it in this state[before thawing out]? I just went to Costco and fridge/freezer is full! would hate to lose all that food!

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you're exactly right in what you need to do. You need to unplug the refrigerator and leave the doors open for 24 hours because frost has built up in the vents in the walls preventing air from going to the refrigerator to the freezer. Once 24 hours has passed you can plug the unit back in and everything will be good to go again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could I create a bigger problem if I wait a few days to do this?
No, not at all. It may even correct on its own if the frost isn't too bad when it goes through there hoar defrost cycles.