Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

A workman is here right now replacing my gas cooktop. He said

A workman is here right now replacing my gas cooktop. He said I should also replace the gas valve or I will be responsible for a future leak. I have the feeling he's just trying to upsell me. My house (and the gas cooktop) is only 12 years old. What should I do?

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Are you talking about the shut off valve to the cook top?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, to be clear it's not the shut-off valve. It's the "connection" between the gas pipe and the cooktop.

Joseph,
I see no reason to replace it, I have installed many units that were over 15 years old and have not had any problems with it. If it does not leak as soon as it is installed, chances are it is not going to leak in the future.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One more quick question -- the workmen are out at their truck & before they come back in I'd like to know: What is the cost of that connection? (ballpark, of course, or put in in a "range" of $).

Joe

Depending where you live, It should be between $45 and $90.