Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Samsung RB1855SW Refrigerator started acting strange last

Customer Question

My Samsung RB1855SW Refrigerator started acting strange last week..The first thing I notice was that frost was building up on the back wall inside my refrigerator..I unplugged and cleaned out the fridge just in case it was "overcrowding" which wasn't an issue with far more in it..The frost still reformed.. Further to that the bottom freezer compartment is taking a long time to cool and get down to the -14 preferred temperature, and if I leave the door open the normal amount of time she loses her "cool" rather quickly..Although she seems at the right temps now, I am not getting that familiar sound of something "clicking/cutting in and out..any suggestions? Thanks, Doreen
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is the frost build up that you're seeing inside the refrigerator section or the freezer section?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

refrigerator section

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so this is a common problem, it means that your refrigerator is no longer defrosting which causes the air to not circulate properly. This will in turn cause temperatures inside the freezer and refrigerator to get too warm and the compressor will run all the time. The back vent panel on the back wall of the refrigerator where the frost is forming needs to be removed so that you can see the sensor behind it. There are two sensors that can cause this issue---the defrost thermistor sensor, and the defrost temperature fuse. Now if you have a multimeter, remove the fuse and test continuity through the 2 wires going to the fuse. If you don't have continuity, replace the fuse. If you do have continuity, replace the defrost thermistor sensor. Below is a link to both parts so you know what you're looking for.

CLICK HERE for defrost fuse

CLICK HERE for defrost thermistor sensor

In the mean time, thaw everything out with a hair dryer and the unit should work for a few days while you look for the faulty part you need to replace.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We will try that..it's going to take a little time..If I close this chat, how do I get back to you to confirm or deny the problem and order the part??

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is an E-mail sent to you with a link back after you rate and close the question to make sure that you can ask follow-up question should have have any. There is no additional charge for follow-up questions whatsoever.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Tyler Z..I will try your suggestions and get back to you if need be..

Have a nice day, Doreen

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK sounds great. Good luck!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello...Oh dear,it's been a few weeks since we got and replaced the sensor # 1515199. It seemed to work fine for a short time (few weeks) now in the last two weeks it has frosted up in the refrigerator part again and the compressor or something is running for the most part continously and seems only to stop while I open the freezer door..and it has become a louder hummin,vibrating noise. Is it possible I was sent a faulty part or is there more to this now..I am going to attempt to defrost the fridge again to get rid of the ice, however husband won't be home for another week so I really can't test the sensor yet to see if that is the problem..Any suggestions?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
It's possible that the sensor came faulty. I'm not sure if you replaced both sensors, but if you didn't then I would replace both sensor that I gave you a link to.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No, we replaced just the one sensor..are you suggesting that I should order the other part now? When we first tested both parts it seem to be Ok. Wish I did that at the beginning..now its extra postage and time to get it with the holiday season upon us.. are you pretty confident that this is the problem?

yes, I'm fairly confident one of the sensor is bad so I would replace both the parts if you want to make sure the problem doesn't come back.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you I will suggest same to husband and get back to you with more questions if need be..Doreen

Alright, good luck.