Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE Downdraft Vent (JVB67H1BB), when it is plugged

Customer Question

I have a GE Downdraft Vent (JVB67H1BB), when it is plugged in and the button is pressed to raise the unit, the unit just starts to continually raise and lower until I unplug the unit. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the downdraft continues to raise and lower after you press the button to raise the vent, it means that your up/down limit switches mounted onto the lift motor itself aren't reading properly and it doesn't know when the vent has been completely raised or lowered. Now unfortunately the switches aren't sold separetly on this downdraft unit so the entire lift motor mounted in the center of the downdraft will need to be ordered and replaced. Below is a link to the lift motor with switch assembly you need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for lift motor assembly

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the quick reply. How hard of a install job is replacing this motor assembly?

It's definitely not an easy job I'm afraid, but the difficult has a lot to with with your venting and if it's in your way. Remove the screws going into the rectangular sheet metal cover that covers the lift motor and remove that cover. Next, the entire front panel of the downdraft under the countertop will need to be removed so if you have venting in front of it, that will all need to be disconnected and disassembled. WIth the front panel off you can disconnect the linkage that connects to the back of the motor, unscrew the motor and swap out the motor with the new one.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Is there anywhere to get more explicit instructions (with pictures/drawings)? I know that is probably not readily available, but I thought I would ask.

Unfortunately there really aren't any videos or picture that show the process, but if you go to the link below, part 23 is the rectangular box you're removing and part 3 is the entire face that would need to be removed. Part 18 is the part you are replacing.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/hood-parts-for-ge-jvb67h1bb.html

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
I'm just following up to see how your appliance is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Everything is done and working fine. Fortunately I did not have to remove the venting or the additional covers. I was able to remove just the motor assembly and reinstall without a lot of extra effort. Thanks for the help.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Not a problem and I'm glad it's all taken care of now.