Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I too have a whirlpool GMH5205XVB microwave. It is not working

I too have a whirlpool GMH5205XVB microwave. It is not working and after a time of acting like it is heating it finally stops and says to call a Tec. Does this mean the Megatron, is there any way to test. Or just give in and buy a new Microwave.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So does it still sound like it's working or is the microwave fairly silent even though it looks like it's trying to work?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like it is working and if it goes the full time I would say it acts no differently except that it did not heat.
OK so unfortunately this is either a bad magneton or a bad inverter board which supplies power to the magnetron. There really is no way to test which part is 100% defective, but there is a slight difference in sound if the magnetron isn't running properly usually indicating that the magnetron is most likely bad. Whirlpool's process is to replace the inverter board first and if the issue persists to replace the magnetron. Most of the time the issue is the inverter board, but it does cost $140 for the part and the magnetron is about the same so either way it may not be worth repairing the microwave even if the inverter board itself was the faulty part and you didn't need the magnetron.