Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Approx. 8 minutes into the cycle, the dishwasher hangs with

Approx. 8 minutes into the cycle, the dishwasher hangs with 78 minutes to go, Heating Pause light is on and sensing light is on. What do I test?
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Does the water get hot and steamy or does it just continue to run and stay at 78?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The water gets hot and steamy

Okay, great! So even with the water heating, the cycle will not advance? How long have you let it run?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have waited about 15 minutes and figured I better cancel to prevent possible damage. Tried this 3 times to see if anything changes. I should note that I just replace the heating element that was visually broken which I figured happen during our remodel. Now this is happening which made me wonder if the heater got damage from something else not working.

Well, there is a thermistor (electronic thermostat) that will not allow the cycle to advance until the water reaches proper temperature, which is about 140* F if the Hi Temp Wash is not selected. The Hi Temp Wash is a bit hotter, about 150* F. So, if the incoming water is not hot (at least 120* F), it could easily take much longer than 15 minutes for the water to heat to adequate temperature. So, I suspect there really is nothing wrong with your machine. The 78 in the display is the estimated time remaining, but the temp hold will modify the time but not the display. Run the water at the tap until it is hot, then start the dishwasher and let it run and see if it advances. There are safeties in place to prevent overheat, so you don't need to worry about it getting too hot. I suspect it will be just fine.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX give it try

Sure, keep me posted! Thank you!