Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a ge profile side by side, about 12 years old. I am

I have a ge profile side by side, about 12 years old. I am getting water leaking into the freezer and forming ice on the bottom. where is it coming from?

Tyler Z. :

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Tyler Z. :

This is a very common issue and it means that your defrost drain line has frozen over and will need to be thawed out. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. You will need to remove everything out of your freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly.

Customer:

when you say the back panel, you mean from inside the freezer?

Tyler Z. :

Once you remove all the stuff inside the freezer, there are going to be some screws going into the back white panel inside the freezer toward the bottom with the vent slots behind the food drawers just above the floor. That is the panel you'll need to remove.

Tyler Z. :

This panel usually goes up about 3 feet or so.

Customer:

ok, so ill have to not only take out all the food but all the shelves and stuff too? also, I should have mentioned that I have an in door ice and water dispenser, don't know if that makes any difference

Tyler Z. :

Aye, you will need to remove some of the lower shelves and such if they are in front of that panel.

Tyler Z. :

The ice/water dispenser won't affect this issue unless you see ice cascading down from the icemaker all the way down the freezer and to the floor

Customer:

no, the water just seems to be collecting on the floor of the freezer. as best I can tell, it looks like it's coming out of somewhere about half way to the dispenser or so toward the right side

Tyler Z. :

Aye, it's coming from your backed up drain then as I originally thought

Customer:

perfect, thank you

Tyler Z. :

not a problem and good luck!