Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My side by side Kenmore refridgerator does not automatically

My side by side Kenmore refridgerator does not automatically deforst. Frost builds up on the coils at the back of the freezer compartment and the frozen food starts to thaw. What is the problem?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The model number should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator or down by the bottom hinge on the refrigerator door. Can I get the model number so I know what machine you have by chance?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Found model number on ceiling of refrigerator. Thanks.

Model Number: 363-50232000

OK perfect, thank you. So this is an older unit made by GE but the good news is that this is by far the most common repair needed to this unit and it's quite easy to do the repair. The problem is that your defrost heater or thermostat has failed. There is a kit that comes with both the heater and the thermostat so there is really no reason to test which one failed. If you just thaw all the frost with a hair dryer and remove the 2 screws mounting the defrost heater at the bottom of the silver evaporator coils and swap out the part. Below is a link to the kit you'll need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for heater assembly

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can unscrew the heater element but I am not sure how the round black element at the top of the coils disconects. Does it just pull out or there a need to turn it?

That round thermostat is just held on by a clip. The clip has sort of a "buckle" at the bottom where it connects to the tub and if you push one side and pull the other side causing the bottom to "torque" the clip will release and the thermostat will pull off to replace it.