Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Maytag Neptune, Model # XXXXX The washer was

I have a Maytag Neptune, Model # XXXXX The washer was washing clothes when it stopped during spin cycle. It gave me a code of OD. I was able to get the clothes out to dry and tried an empty run to see if it would act up again. It ran until the spin cycle and gave me the code OD again. This time I was not able to get the door open.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this error "OD" means "OPEN DOOR" and it means that the door latch isn't sure whether the door is opened or closed, but either way the door latch is failing and will need to be replaced or the problem will continue to come back even if it works sporadically right now. Now at this point you'll need to manually release the door which is difficult. You'll need to pull the washer forward and unplug the unit. Remove the screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will then pull straight back, up, and off. Now you'll need a stick or something to reach down to the right of the door way and push the latch release DOWN to manually release the door like in the picture below.

graphic

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You did not tell me how to tell if the door latch is bad nor how to replace it. Can you tell me how to do those things? Also, what model number of door latch will I need?

The door latch IS bad because you're getting the error code. I believe I definitely stated that.

As for the other questions I can help with those. It's actually a fairly easy part to replace if you're handy. You'll need to unplug the washer and open the door to start with. Then there is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket. Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire ring off. From there you can pull the gasket back out of the way. Remove the screws going into the door latch from the front and reach behind to replace the door latch assembly. Below is a link to the latch assembly you'll need to order and replace for this model.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was just asking if there was a way to see if it was bad such as a crack or a burnt place. I know that you have stated that it was bad. I was not questioning your answer just asking if there was anything to look for.

Unfortunately there are usually no signs of the latch failing. Most of the time it's sporadic, but if you're getting the error code it's definitely bad so it would need to be replaced.