Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a Frigidare gas range. Last week when turning on the

We have a Frigidare gas range. Last week when turning on the oven, a small amount of smoke appeared below the digital controls (can't tell if it filtered up from the oven or from the controls), then the GFI tripped. We have replaced the GFI. All top burners with ignighters as well as the digital controls work fine. Still when we turn on the oven (no ignighter sound), after about 1 second the GFI trips. Could this be limited to the ignighter? I would appreciate your thoughts.
Bob Danelz
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So it sounds like your igniter is definitely going bad, but the best way to know for certain is to pull the oven forward, remove the screws going into the back panel, and remove the back panel. Then locate the 2 wires coming from the bake igniter and disconnect them. Just turn the oven back on and if it no longer trips the GFI, your igniter will need to be replaced.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ill give it a try and get back to you. Can you send me my case number XXXXX

There really isn't a "case number" that I'm aware of. But you can bookmark the page or there should be an E-mail with a link back here sent to you each time I respond to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If this isn't the problem can I contact you again without another charge? Do I rate you now or after we see if this is the problem? If I get the model number of the range can you provide me with a part number on the ignighter?

Yes of course. This question is never really closed even after rating me so that you can ask follow-up questions at no additional charge. Also, if you get me the model number, I can definitely provide the part number for the igniter as well. Typically one rates now when done with this conversation, but as I said, that doesn't stop our interaction. I'm here to help you until the problem is fixed.