Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a 1950s Wilcolator gas oven. Up until two days ago

I have a 1950's Wilcolator gas oven. Up until two days ago it was working perfectly. The pilot light is lit; however when the dial is turned to heat the oven the burner (?) does not ignite. Upon calling an appliance repair store they seem to think any parts needed would not be available ... I'm wondering if you can give me any suggestions. Should I have a technician come out simply for a diagnosis and then search out any parts or, as they stated, are parts hard to come by?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This is quite an old unit and although you may find an Antique oven repair shop that will have a part that will retro fit and work, it will likely cost $500 just for the part alone. That being said, one thing you can try yourself is to look at the pilot light. There is a small metal "bulb" with a long wire attached to it that the flame from the pilot light touches. Remove this bulb or just leave it in place and sand it down with some emery cloth or sand paper. Often times on these older units, debris will build up over time on this bulb and it doesn't sense the flame properly so it won't turn the oven burner on. Shining it up will get it to sense better and possibly fix your problems. If not, then most likely you'd need a new oven gas control valve and the part definitely wouldn't be made anymore on such an old unit, but if you wanted to spend the money you could possibly get it fixed through an antique oven repairman.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!