Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a kitchenaid KUDI01FL that will not reset - standing

I have a kitchenaid KUDI01FL that will not reset - standing water and blinking "heavy " & "normal" LEDs. Have tried all known reset sequences and unplugged for 15min. Still no response.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Unfortunately this is not an issue you can reset with the sequence and the reason why is because the heavy and normal LEDs flashing is an error code meaning that your touch control panel is shorted. The reset sequence can't work if the touchpad is shorted. You can try to just turn the circuit breaker off or unplug the unit for 24 hours and sometimes if steam from the dishwasher is causing the touchpad to act up it will dry out and start working again, but if that doesn't work, the entire touch control panel would need to be replaced and the part is usually about $130 or so. You'll need the full model number however because the model you have listed is just a partial number. The full model is located on a sticker around the frame of the tub and can be seen if you open the door.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok sounds like I have to call the appliance repair folks? Is this going to be full $30 charge from you?

Thanks,

Dave

That's up to you if you want to call an appliance repair person or not, but honestly the process of replacing the touchpad is quite easy. If you're handy at all you can do the repair yourself. Below is a video that shows you the process of removing the touchpad if you wanted to replace it.

CLICK HERE for video

As for the charges, I have no control over these charges nor any knowledge of what the question value is for you, but whatever was quoted in the beginning should be the same charge as now.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, will try but what would cause short? Standing water cause or result, in yout opinion?
The standing water is just a result of the short because as soon as the unit detects a short, it shuts the dishwasher down and it won't do anything until the issue is fixed.

As for what causes the touchpad to short out and fail that's hard to say. Most of the time it's believed to be the steam from the dishwasher over time. Other times it can just be electronics failing since electronics are fragile anyways. There usually isn't any specific action or thing you can point to unless you know of a power outage that happened.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank You Tyler Z, I got a new control panel for $75 and installed and resolved my problem before the appliance called back!

Dave
5🌟
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Dave
5🌟
Awesome. Sounds like you found a good deal and glad it's all up and running again!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.