Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirlpool washing machine (part #3950658-white).

I have a whirlpool washing machine (part #3950658-white). It makes a high pitched whine as it fills with water. I replaced the water supply hoses and cleaned the inlet screens, but the sound is still there. I am thinking it is the water inlet valve. Suggestions?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you are exactly right, if you're get a high pitched while only as it's filling and you're sure you have good water pressure to the washer, the inlet screens have been cleaned, and the fill hoses replaced---there really is nothing left but the inlet water valve that would need to be replaced. The number you have listed is a part number not the model number, but if you look under the lid down near the hinges there should be a sticker with the model number and I can look up the part for the valve if you'd like.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great! Here is the model # XXXXX I just want to ensure I order the right part... I looked online and it did not seem very expensive (if I was looking at the right one). Any pointers on replacing would be great too...

Thanks!

Sure, so the valve part number is XXXXX and the part is about $25. Now as for accessing the valve, the entire outer shell will need to come off. Below is a video that shows youhow to take the outer shell off which should make the process fairly easy for you. Your screws on the control panel come in from the front on the right and left side.

CLICK HERE for video

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great! Thank you.

Not a problem and good luck!