Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a Frigidaire fridge made by Electrolux in Mexico. It

I have a Frigidaire fridge made by Electrolux in Mexico. It is a side by side model No. FRS6L9EFSS0. Over the last month or so it isn't keeping cold as it used to. This is the case on both the fridge and freezer sides. I pulled it out and cleaned it. There isn't any ice build up. Is it possible that there could have been a small Freon leak and it can be charged through the line on the high side?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Are you sure the freezer coils are not getting frosty, have you looked at them?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where are the coils located?

In the freezer section behind the lower part of the rear wall. There is a removable panel for the lower part.... What do those look like? Take your time there is no rush.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The coils are clean but there is a round piece of ice right above the coil assembly

Clay that is a coolant leak. The very obvious sign is the ball of ice. What is happening is your refrigerator does not have enough coolant to circulate through those coils. The repair is to get your refrigerator recharged.

No sir you should recharge the fridge on the low side line, not the high.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barry,

Where Can I get the needed tool and materials to charge the system?

Is there a diagram that shows which is the high side and which is the low side?

Clay the larger line is the low side. If you look in at the tag where you found the model number there is a weight there. R134 and a weight. That is the amount your refrigerator holds.

You can get that at Walmart, they sell the coolant and a piercing valve. If you can get guages Robinair are the best to measure pressure with and you would want that low side line to read nearly zero psi. As close as possible, while the refrigerator is operating.

Please ask me if you have any questions at all. Anything at all.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barry,

I see where it says 5.25 oz R-134A

but it also says High side pressure 300 psi and lowside 140 psi. So I should use the piercing valve to bleed out the remaining pressure in the low side then add 5.25 oz of R-134? Should I use the kind that has leak stop in it?

Clay

No sir, I do not think you should use the kind that has stop leak in it. I personally think that clogs the capillary tube, and Clay thats just my personal opinion, its not based on any fact whatsoever.

I can tell you the lowside pressure should be nearly zero while operating. The highside differs between models and I really never needed to keep up with that because I knew if I hit the low side correctly the refrigerator would cool. So I never really looked at that.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I should just be able to use a piercing valve and charging hose to add 5oz of R-134 to the low side and I should be good to go? Thank you Barry for the excellent service. If this works it will be the third successful repair I have been able to perform myself by asking an expert.

Clay

You are very welcome Clay.......I am glad to hear that we have helped. You probably will not need that much. Watch the coils in the freezer as you go, when they start frosting then that will be enough.

Thank you so much for the opportunity again, and as you know please ask followups if you need to.

Barry