Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Myatag Neptune 1999 4000 is not draining or spinning. Ive

Customer Question

Myatag Neptune 1999 4000 is not draining or spinning. I've replaced both pumps and cleaned the intake filters. Any other ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you say it's not draining, but if you run a cycle with no clothes inside and then open the door when the cycle is finished, is there a large pool of water in the tub that you can physically see? Or do you just hear water when you turn the basket?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't tried using without any clothes. My 'test' wash is small load of rags.

Should I try a load with no clothes?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
well if you've ran it with rags what are you finding? Is there 6 inches of water in the tub? Or are the clothes just soaking wet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Clothes are soaking wet. No water in drum this time, there is some in the rubber seal area.

I'm running a full cycle with no clothes. I'm a bit worried but its starting out with a bunch of water in its system, will it be able to recover or will it just fill a certain amount of water then drain the same amount and be left with too much water?

Oh, I also unplugged it, let it sit for a while and plugged it back in, hoping that would reset things.

The cold water intake filter was pretty clogged but should be sparkling now.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so the problem isn't that it's not draining then if you don't have a few inches of water in the tub itself (the gasket having water is normal). It sounds like it's just not spinning at all.

Can you start a spin cycle and watch the control panel for a bit? Does the door lock light turn on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll try that.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK, sounds good. Just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does seem to be draining, door doesn't lock. I opened it while it was draining which interuppted the spin cycle. I had to close the door and start it over.

What's wrong if the door never locks?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so that would be a very common problem that this model washer had and there was actually a class action lawsuit over this problem many years ago. But unfortunately it can't be collected on anymore because Maytag went bankrupt and Whirpool bought them out. Either way, both the door lock wax motor and the machine control board behind the timer inside the control panel would need to be ordered and replaced because the lock motor shorts out the board. The board is about $200 and the wax motor is about $10. Below is a link to both parts.

CLICK HERE for control board

CLICK HERE for wax motor

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got the parts, how do I install?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You may need a technician for that because there is a lot to taking the washer apart and installing the was motor. The control board is replaced by just unplugging the washer and removing the screws going into the back of the control panel. Then the control panel will pull off to give access for replacing the control board.

Below is a video on how to access the was motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0PplmTeFfc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Found this on how to replace the motor once you've disassembled.

http://circuitboardmedics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Neptune_Wax_Motor_Instructions.pdf

I replaced the wax motor first, put everything back together then discovered the control board should also be replaced while its disassembled. Problem was the door was locked at that point.

I'm testing hoping the door opens at the end.

If the door doesn't unlock, is my only option replacing the control board from the back or is there a way to trigger the door to become unlocked?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You are not replacing the motor control board, your replacing the machine control board which is inside the control panel so you access from the back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The machine control board I have does not look like the one I see inside my my machine. As I look in from the back on the machine, I'm comparing my board to one that is in the back on the left.

Are there more than one 'board?' Does the 1999 Maytag Nepturne washer model have a different control board than the one on the link?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
For the model number you gave me, there is only 1 machine control board. The part number is 22002989
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you say project from hell? You've been great though.

How is that control board secured?

I loosened two screws on the corners that seem to hold the board to a bracket/framing thing. That doesn't seem to loosen the board. I see a bolt/screw way in the back (which should be the front if you are coming from the front.) Can't quite get to it but not sure what it even is.

Do you take off the framing first then remove the control board or do you just remove the control board? If its just the control board, exactly what screws need to be removed?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There are just (2) 5/16" silver nuts in the center of the board that hold it to the plastic bracket. Once you remove those bolts the board slides to the left I believe about a half an inch and then pulls off.