Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

(Appliance Doc Only) Hey Appliance Doc, got a customer who

(Appliance Doc Only) Hey Appliance Doc, got a customer who says her old GE dishwasher is not getting rid of all the soap. According to another question on one of these subscription services, I asked her if the dispenser door was open at the end of the cycle and she said yes. I asked her if she could hear the water when she turned it on, but she didn't know if it sounded quite like it used to. With some undissolved soap, does this sound like a water inlet valve problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So there are really a lot of options. First, you want to start a cycle and see if the floor gets completely covered from front to back and left to right walls with water. If not, then make sure you have good water pressure and if so, replace the water valve.

Other than that, you'd need to clean the filters make sure the wash arm holes aren't clogged. If everything checks good and the dishes aren't being packed in the front left corner of the dishwasher blocking the water from getting to the dispenser, the circulation pump would need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I didn't find this thing on Sears Direct but just Googled it. This thing is 27 years old. You think I could find a circulation pump for it?

Sure. The motor was updated to a white plastic motor where it used to be black metal, but the connections and mounting are all the same, it just looks different. The part number for the pump is WD26X10013.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
So to check the water pressure, if you don't have a device to test the pressure on the water line, I would get a 5 gallon bucket and put the water line going to the dishwasher into the bucket. Turn the water on under the sink and the water should be spraying into the bucket fast enough that you really wouldn't think you can stop it by just placing your thumb over the end of the hose.

If you have something to test the pressure, it should be between 60 and 110 psi.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks so much! ONe more question about that and I'll leave you alone. Did you use a water pressure tester yourself or just do the bucket thing? I have no idea what a water pressure gauge or test item would cost or how to use it. What do you think? Doesn't sound like something I'd use very often.

I actually use a tester myself, but I have left it at someones house on occasion and have to run calls for a day without it so if the issue isn't border line, then just filling a bucket up and checking pressure that way is sufficient.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc