Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

We have an LFC20770 refrigerator which is making a lot of noise.

We have an LFC20770 refrigerator which is making a lot of noise. The noise seems to be coming from the back of the freezer compartment. It occurs only when the fan is on and is fairly high frequency. What can I do about it?

Many thanks,

Jay C. Hardin
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Does the noise seem to be coming from inside the freezer in the rear or the rear of the unit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Inside the freezer in the rear

Ok Thanks Jay, Either the evaporator fan is rubbing against some ice built up or the fan bearing has worn.

Take the panel off in the rear inside the freezer, once off check for ice around the evaporator fan. If the fan is free of ice then you should replace the motor.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please reply with any further questions you may have.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

If you would like to request me personally for future appliance questions click here HERE and bookmark this page.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I have to turn off the refrigerator while I am taking the back panel off? How do I take the back panel off?

Yes pull the power cord, then take the shelfs out inside the freezer, next take all the screws out holding the lower panel in place. You should be able to remove the lower panel.

Thanks!

Mike.