Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Dryer will not start unless I rotate the drum first?

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the motor hums but won't start without manually pushing the drum, it means that your start winding on the motor is not getting power however the run winding is. There is a centrifugal switch built into the motor that should allow both windings to get power when the motor has stopped, and then the switch breaks contact once the motor is spinning up to speed to stop power from going through the start winding anymore. The switch isn't working properly and unfortunately you can't replace just the switch, the entire motor would need to be replaced to fix this issue. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order and it's about $110.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!