Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands Self employed owner at All Better Appliance

Maytag Performa Model # XXXXX Refrigerator - is making

Maytag Performa Model # XXXXX Refrigerator - is making a strange tinny noise every so often. I'm afraid of it causing a fire. Can you tell me what it could be?

Won't cause a fire ... is either a transmission or a drain pump. Either can smoke a belt, neither will cause a fire.

To test lean it back at a 45 and remove the belt. Turn both by hand pump should be free and quiet both directions if not replace. If so it's the transmission. Transmission not worth fixing use till it burns the belt or stops working and replace.

Rarely the motor could cause noise but it's very rare and you can tell by spinning it to. Report back if it's the motor

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. You've put my mind at ease. I can sleep tonight.

I am not able to do what you suggest by myself, but I will put in a Work Order Request to the Maintenance committee here in my Co-op with a copy of your advice. Thank you again! - Julie.

no problem. Lemme know if you or they need anymore help. I'm on here mainly evenings and weekends. But if you reply I get it and respond to current customers before any new requests. Thanks!