Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

why did my frigidaire side by side freezer defrost after I

why did my frigidaire side by side freezer defrost after I replaced the water filter?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service. Please take your time and make the checks below. I really doubt changing the water filter had anything at all to do with the refrigerator to stop cooling.

First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

If the freezer fan is operating and you found no frost on the rear inside wall of the freezer go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't feel a frosty spot on the back of the freezer (by the way, the fridge seems to be maintaining its coldness, steady at 39 degrees F). We pulled the fridge out and have to remove the back lower panel with tools. I can hear a fan running.

I understand, please take your time. There is no rush.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The compressor is room temp. No other sound except for a low-toned whirring can be heard.

Is the fan back there operating?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We hear a fan, but the big one next to the compressor isn't moving.

I understand, you are probably hearing the freezer fan. Give me a few minutes more to finish looking at the diagrams.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay, thanks

You are very welcome, thank you so much for the opportunity.

What you are going to need to do is get to the bottom in the front. Below the doors remove that kick panel. Behind there is a board attached to the floor from the bottom.
Remove the one screw and then slide that box out. There is a board in there. That is the main control board. Replace that board and that will take care of the problem.

Please if you have any questions at all, any, about anything please ask me. I will do my very best to help. If not then please leave a rating for my service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your answer. One more question, do you have an idea about the cost of this board? And, should we cut the power to the unit?

I really doubt cutting power is going to make anything worse. Eventually the fresh food side will warm as well so you should get ready for that. It really is not going to matter if you unplug it or not. If you can get some use out of it and need it, then do that. Its not going to hurt to let it run as long as you get use out of it.

You can purchase the board at many places, the one I have linked below has a year warranty, but you can get it cheaper at many other places online. (NNN) NNN-NNNNis the part number to shop with. You can use that locally or online and get the part your refridgerator needs.

You are very welcome, if you can think of something else that you need please do not hesitate, I really do appreciate the opportunity.