Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Type your question here. Trying to decide repair or replace.

Type your question here.
Trying to decide repair or replace. Maytag dishwasher when closed, the heating element stayed on continually and even melted some Cups. Now the Heated Dry light stays on and the others buttons now the dishwasher doesn't start at all.
Advice.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so I can see what would cause this problem? The model for the dishwasher is located on a sticker around the frame of the tub and can be seen if you open the door.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
MDB5100AWB
OK perfect, thank you--that helps a lot. So the only thing that can cause the element to stay on all the time is the control board itself. As for the control panel acting up, that's also related to the control board because it's all one part. So it sounds like your control board is just beginning to fail and you won't be able to reset this issue, the control board would need to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue. The cost of the part is about $200 so it's not cheap and the part number is XXXXX But if you're handy, you can replace it yourself since it's all plug and play. $200 is a lot to put into an older unit, but I guess that depends on the condition of the dishwasher and if you had the extra money to go out and buy a new dishwasher right now. If you repaired it, I would expect another 5 years or so before something else fails.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you tell me where in the dishwasher the control board is located and generally how to gain access to it? The users guide doesn't provide much help and a visual inspection of it may confirm your diagnosis.

Also, if I choose this path could I order this part through this website?
The control board is located inside the door behind all the buttons you push when you select the cycle. Just turn the circuit breaker off to the dishwasher and open the door. Remove all the screws around the border of the inner door liner and split the door apart to access the part.

Also, we don't sell parts but you can order the part in the link below.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/99002823/949495?modelNumber=MDB5100AWB?RCAID=1000057