Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

My Kitchenaid Superba side-by-side fridge/freezer stopped working

Customer Question

My Kitchenaid Superba side-by-side fridge/freezer stopped working last night. Noticed that the over temperature reset was beeping. and the fridge was not cooling. This morning, I found the food in the freezer are all thawed, and fridge is quite warm too.

I turned off the power, and turned back on after a couple of hours. The lights in the fridge work and there is air blowing out in the freezer section (however it is warm air).

Looking forward to some assistance.

Audrey
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
Hello Audrey my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

The relay that was replaced, was that on the side of the compressor? If so can you hear it click every few minutes?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes it was on the compressor side. However, when I turn the refrigerator on, there is no clicking noise on the relay.

Audrey

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
Audrey when he replaced the relay originally, I take it that it then cooled for a period of time and stopped again, is that correct?

Can you touch the compressor on the top? With the fan running in the freezer for more than 30 minutes is the compressor warm at all?

Barry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes, the refrigerator worked fine for the last 4 months after the relay was replaced.

I have turned the refrigerator on again and will let you know if the compressor gets warm

Audrey

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
Okay thanks Audrey, just leave it run for about 30 minutes then check. I will be nearby, no rush at all.

Barry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I just checked the compressor on top with the fridge running for the last 30 minutes. It is cold.

Audrey

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
Wow, does your husband have a voltmeter or an outlet tester?

Barry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes, I think he has a voltmeter. Let me go check with him and I'll ask him to chat with you.

Audrey

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
Great, I will go ahead and type the instructions.

If you can find one put one probe to the frame on a clean spot. With the other probe rotate through the wires. Have the meter set for ac voltage, can you find power on any wire?

Take your time, I will be here.
Barry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Barry,

Not sure I got what you said, could you please clarify which wires you are referring to? Are they they wires connected to the relay?

Ashley

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
Yes those wires, put one probe onto a clean part of the frame, where the compressor is mounted at the bottom or a door hinge are good places. Then rotate through the wires on that relay.

Barry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

There were only two wires connected to the relay. There was no power on any of the wires. (one was 0V and the other was O.6 V, with the frame)

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
And the fan in the freezer was operating at the time you tested?

Barry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The fridge was operating and there was air blowing out in the freezer section (warm air). I'm assuming there is a fan blowing this air out. I cannot see the fan though.

Just wanted to let you know that there is a fan near the compressor at the back of the refrigerator and this fan is not working

Ashley

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
I understand, give me a few more minutes to get a part number for you. I know exactly what is wrong.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
Audrey the main control board has gone bad. Originally the compressor failure could have caused this problem but that is what is wrong. The main control board is the part in the fresh food section where you see the digits and adjust the temperature. Its all right there in that section. When you get the new part it comes with the digital part that you see and another part that is inside of that housing. Replace that part, I have it linked below if you need it and that will take care of the problem.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/8201664/1059847

Please ask me if you have any questions at all, if not please leave a rating for me.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Barry,

Is this the only part that needs to be replaced or is there a possibility that the compressor also has failed?

Also do you have instructions on how to replace the main control board? Would appreciate if you could share it with me.

Audrey

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
Give me a few minutes see what I have I think I have something that will help.

You are very welcome thank you for the opportunity.

Barry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No problem.

Would also like to ask you a question. The fridge is presently placed between two floor to ceiling cabinets. Could this be the reason for the multiple failures that we've faced?

Would appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

Audrey

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
No that is not likely, if you keep the area clean that the fan blows beside the compressor that is the important thing. Once a year to clean that area or even longer depending on the amount of dust that is in your home. Its really not likely. I think the relay failed and caused the board problem. The board is definitely bad. I do have a sheet and am uploading now. Just a few more minutes.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
Click below and I believe that will help you get to it. If you need anything at all, no matter what it is please ask me. I will do my very best to help, I really mean it when I say I appreciate the opportunity.

CLICK HERE FOR SHEET.

Please ask if you have any questions.
Barry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Barry,

Thank you very much for the information. Could you please confirm that its not likely that any other part has failed (e.g compressor etc). It is quite an old refrigerator (approx 10 years) and we would like to get the total cost before investing money into the repair.

If you would like me to check any other part please let me know.

Thanks,

Audrey

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
I am sure that is the part that has failed thanks to you making the measurements. You can ohm the compressor if you would like to be double sure. I would be happy to look and advise. Please take your time.

Remove the parts the wires go to on the side of the compressor. They pull straight off the pins in the picture below, you can leave the wires attached. Once you have those off this is what to do.

There are 3 pins, name a pin number 1 and set your meter to Rx1 ohms. Rotate through all 3 pins just like below. One probe from the meter to (pin1 and the other to pin3) For example and do all 3 sets just below
1 to 3
1 to 2
2 to 3
Write each one down and let me know what the meter says. At each test, its not important which pin you name pin 1, you do that so you can keep track of the measurements and seperate them.

The next test is each pin to a good frame ground with the same ohm Rx1 setting. One probe to each pin one at at time and the other probe from the meter to a clean frame unpainted piece of metal. You should get no reading.

Let me know what you find.
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Here are the reading

1-2 -- 9.4 ohms

2-3 -- 6.3 ohms

1-3 -- 3.4 ohms

Also the readings between the pins and the frame is 1 (i.e no reading)

Audrey

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
Thats all good, replace the board and it will be fine. I am sure of it, and thanks for the extra tests.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Barry,

I received the replacement part. I noticed that the replacement board is in one piece (display section and board section connected together), whereas in the original board the display section and the board section could move relative to each other ( which helps in assembly).

I noticed that there are the two sections in the new board are joined by very small board pieces. Should I just break them apart manually, or is there a technique for breaking the these pieces.

Would appreciate your advice,

Thanks,

Audrey

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
Hello, yes just snap it up 90 degree's so its facing the proper direction Its made that way.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your quick response. I'll try it and get back to you if I have any issues.

Thanks,

Audrey

P.S: I noticed that there a burnt (black) mark behind one of the components in the old board

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
Yes let me know I will be around for a while, your very welcome. I appreciate the opportunity.

Barry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Barry,

I replaced the board and the fridge started working. Thank you for your help, however I noticed that the light in the fridge section is not working now, seems strange to me cause it was working previously even with the defective board. Could you please advise what could be the problem ?

Thanks,

Audrey

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
The bulb that lights the interior is not working?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes, the bulb is not working now. It was working earlier.

Also, the bulb in the freezer is working.

Audrey

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
That really is odd, what I recommend is when you folks have some free time, in less than thirty days switch boards again and see if the light comes on then. If it does you have recieved a bad board. There is a relay on the board that turns on the lights. The freezer is separate from the refrigerator.

Barry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok thanks, I think I'll try this sooner (maybe later today or tomorrow) and let you know.

Thanks,

Audrey

Expert:  Barry G. replied 9 months ago.
Okay that will be fine just let me know. I will get you through it, I feel like you might have got a defective board.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi Barry,

Just wanted to let you know that I opened the board and checked the board connections. I also removed and refitted the bulb that lights the interior.

Everything works now. Must have been a bad connection.

Thanks a lot for your advice and help.

Regards,

Audrey

Expert:  Barry G. replied 8 months ago.
Hi Audrey and family. thank you for the opportunity. I am glad to hear you got it going.

Take good care,
Barry