Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I moved and the electric dryer plug didnt match the outlet.

I moved and the electric dryer plug didn't match the outlet. I replaced the plug, and when I did it seemed like a tiny chip of plastic at the bottom of the terminal block had come off. I didn't think it would be an issue, finished screwing it all together and when I plugged it in it sparked and the dryer appeared to be dead. I checked the breakers and everything seemed okay. I took it apart again, looked at the wires and terminal bridge. I noticed that it had old damage to the plastic- there had been some heat before that had melted part of it. I replaced the terminal block but the dryer still doesn't light up or turn on at all. What now?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It looks like mod# XXXXX

under that it says XDU1C

it was made in Canada

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
Thank you! Do you have a meter to test voltage with?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
Have you reset the breaker, turning it off and then back on? Did you install a 4 prong cord?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes to the breaker,and the outlet is for the 3 prong type where the bottom prong is almost L shaped

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
Okay, so when you installed the new cord, there were 3 wires. Did you get the middle wire of the cord attached to the middle wire on the terminal strip and the outer wires of the flat cord to the outer areas of the terminal strip?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes- red to the red (top), black to the black (bottom) and neutral to the middle.

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
Okay, and do you know if any of the wires actually shorted to each other, especially the black one?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No- they did not. The black wire actually shorted to- and briefly fused to- the metal casing that covers the wires

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
Okay, so the dryer control board would have been damaged. It will need to be replaced and is available below.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Control <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.
You are very welcome!