Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands Self employed owner at All Better Appliance
41736587

I have a whirlpool sensor dryer. I just changed the heating

I have a whirlpool sensor dryer. I just changed the heating element and replaced the thermostat. The dryer worked for about 10 minutes and then stopped. Now the display panel works but the dryer won't start. By the way, the reason I replaced the heating element in the first placed is because the dryer wouldn't heat up. Please advise.

Repairman1981 :

sounds like the high limit thermostat has blown (probably due to a venting issue that caused the original element or thermostat to blow)

Repairman1981 :

It's the white bullet fuse with the 2 blue wires on the exhaust housing

Customer:

I'm not sure, where should I look?

Repairman1981 :

lemme get you a diagram

Repairman1981 :

can't save it .... on your model if you remove the lower kick plate like your gonna change your element (KILL THE POWER OF COURSE) and look to the left of the element ... hidden up behind the filter housing there is a white bullet fuse with 2 blue wires

Repairman1981 :

Replace that

Customer:

just a second, let me look...

Customer:

I see the fuse with 2 blue wires. What are the red and black wires next to it?

Repairman1981 :

that is the thermistor

Repairman1981 :

It won't shut it down, it just regulates the temp

Repairman1981 :

the white one shuts it down .... that or the belt being broken. But I would think you would notice the belt

Customer:

Is there a possibility that the new thermostat is now gone bad?

Repairman1981 :

could be .... but it won't shut it down either

Repairman1981 :

If it won't run, the belt, the thermal fuse I showed you, or the board is your issue. Rarely the motor .... but it usually at least hums if it's the culprit

Customer:

What about the display setting on the board. It lights up fine and I can turn the dryer on and off. Would not the fuse prevent it from displaying as well?

Repairman1981 :

nope .... 99% of the time I see one that "thinks" it's running it's the fuse or the belt. The belt is good, if you don't see it broken. The fact you have already had temp problems I'd say the fuse is your issue

Repairman1981 :

cheap to like 20 bucks

Customer:

Ok, I will try that. Unfortunately, I wont be able to get a fuse until Monday. By the way, when I installed the new heating element and replaced the two thermostats, although, I believed I placed the wires back in the same order, if I didn't, could that have caused the problem of the dryer not running?

Repairman1981 :

not to cause it not to run. Could cause it not to heat, but until it's running you can't tell

Repairman1981 :

To test it tonight ......

Repairman1981 :

TEST ONLY DO NOT RUN A CYCLE LIKE THIS

Repairman1981 :

Tape the 2 blue wires together

Repairman1981 :

that's all the fuse does. This will let you know if I need to help further or if that's it