Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

My Miele Optima dishwasher has an intake problem. I got troubleshooting

My Miele Optima dishwasher has an intake problem. I got troubleshooting advice from Miele over the phone. We did a bunch of troubleshooting related to common drainage problems, and the tech suggested that it is likely an intake problem, but a service tech would have to come out (10 days later at the earliest!).
My question: What are the most common intake problems, and are there any that I can fix myself? I am not a tradesperson, but I am quite handy with plumbing. If I can fix this today, I will be a hero to my wife!
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Can you hear or feel the fill valve energizing? It is in the hose assembly under the counter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will attempt to listen to it right now. Thank you for responding.

You are very welcome! We will see what we can find!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It buzzes and I can feel it vibrate slightly for several seconds, then it stops and I think that is when the red light comes on.

Great! Are you certain that the water is on to the machine from the home's plumbing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For sure, and it does seem to "try" a few times more before stopping altogether.

Okay, so if you are certain that the water is to that valve and we know that the valve is getting energized, that means that valve is faulty. So, we know what the problem is, now for the repair. That valve is part of what they call the "Waterproof System" and it is all one assembly. Miele has no distributors so the part is only available from them directly. They can be reached at(NNN) NNN-NNNNor(NNN) NNN-NNNN I have the complete service manual for your model or I can post only the instructions for that WPS replacement, whichever you prefer.
One thing we should check. There is a flow washer that may be plugged, so we should check that before replacing anything. Can you remove that fitting and see any blockage?

If that filter is clear, the WPS will need to be replaced and the instructions are below.

1. Shut off the water supply.
2. Disconnect the WPS at the plumbing supply connection.
3. Remove the left side panel (Section 010-4.1).
Remove the drip pan (Section 010-4.2).
4. Disconnect the hose from the water.
Disconnect the electrical connection.
5. Unclip the wiring from the retainers. Release the WPS retainer from the
rear of the appliance and remove the WPS.

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!